Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham experts

sugerand

Private Elliot Blades was born in Escombe, Durham and enlisted at Ferryhill, Durham. I don't know any more than that about him. He was friends with my Great Uncle and they both died fighting for the West Yorks Regiment 1/7 Bat on 17th and 21st November 1917. I am trying to find out how Elliot came to be be fighting with my Great Uncle's Bat in 1917. His West Yorks Reg No is: 54583. I am grateful for any ideas??

Sue

Sue

He may have been with the DLI, got wounded and on recovery moved to the West Yorks.

Have you checked his medal card?

More likely he went to the West Yorks on enlistment.

Men did not necessarily serve with their county regiment.

Hundreds of Durham men served with the Royal Naval Division and I believe there were over a hundred served with the Duke of Cornwall's. Basically men went where they were needed.

If you have access to SDGW have a look at other West Yorks casualties, I bet over half of them were born or enlisted in another area.

Sean

Sue

Have checked my small collection on the West Yrkshire regiment and Pte Blades 54583 did not serve in any other regiment overseas, as Sean said many men from all over England served in the West Yorkshires, he could of come from a training Battalion straight into the 1/7th West Yorks or from say from the West Yorkshires 7th Reserve Battalion or even another Regiments reserve Battalion.

Hope this helps a little bit, maybe the only thing that will clear it up, is his service records if there survived?

Regards Kevin

Thanks to both Sean ank Kevin for this useful information. I had assumed that Elliot had transferred to the Leeds Rifles at some point, perhaps after they had suffered casualties, but this may not be right.

Sue