Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW bootleg for sale on ebay

museumtom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...Q%3AUS%3A1&rd=1

I emailed the seller asking exactly what he was selling and he replied;

'this is a copt of the cd rom which costs over £300 to buy new. listed is details including where lived, where enlisted, rank, number, regiment, date of death for every soldier in ww1 to have died. you can also print off death scrolls for any soldier.'

Tom.

First one I have seen on eBay for years. If this is a copy, the seller may find himself in for a hard shock, Naval & Military Press prosecuted big time, the last time copys appeared on eBay...Brave man or a foolish one!!.

I would never presume to comment on what individuals do on other sites but generally it highlights the problem with a very expensive item which can actually be made for peanuts. I'm sure at another time in my life before being willing or able to part with large sums of money to satisfy my interests I would have bought it.

Mick

Hello

I agree its v.expensive and the customer support isnt that hot

A friend got his CD stuck in his PC and it broke. He asked if he could return it and pay for the upgraded version and even though he had the receipt they wouldnt help. The cost to replace it to them, 10p plus postage - not much

Ian

As long as it's technically possible, a resource like SDGW is always going to get copied. The only remarkable thing about the present case is the fact that someone has been daft enough to put a copy on e-Bay - and N&M will no doubt jump all over him.

SDGW is going to be an important reference source for as long as people are interested in the Great War, and there are clearly hundreds of thousands of potential users who are never going to buy the complete work. I think the best answer for N&M and the public would be for SDGW to be put online, on a periodic subscription basis - for the sake of argument, £10 for a month, £25 for 3 months, £40 for 6 months and £75 for a year - with N&M perhaps also doing a licensing deal, such as OUP has recently done for the Dictionary of National Biography, with the consortium of public library services. This would make SDGW accessible at all levels of interest and ability/willingness to pay, and hopefully generate enough revenue to enable N&M to regularly improve and update the service and database.

Mick

I have the ww2 version of SDGW, you can copy it to your hearts content but everytime it is installed/re-installed (even on my own computer) I have to not the number shown on the screen and ask N@MP for a new installation number They will check their records and see that I have bought it from them. If you had a bootleg copy of this and you emailed N@MP for the installation number they would know you did not buy it from them and they would know by the number you give them who gave you the copy.

Tom.

I think its been worth every penny and it is an invaluable tool. I have mentioned this before but it took me 6 years or so to research the names on my local war memorial,,,when the disk came out I found them all in an afternoon. i didnt think it could be copied..or am i thinking of the trench maps?

Mick

I think the best answer for N&M and the public would be for SDGW to be put online, on a periodic subscription basis

They already have - I have never used it so can't speack for advantages/disadvantages etc, but it can be found here.

Alan

They already have - I have never used it so can't speack for advantages/disadvantages etc, but it can be found here.

Alan

Whoops - thanks Alan, I didn't think N&M were that 'with it'.

I have the ww2 version of SDGW, you can copy it to your hearts content but everytime it is installed/re-installed (even on my own computer) I have to not the number shown on the screen and ask N@MP for a new installation number They will check their records and see that I have bought it from them. If you had a bootleg copy of this and you emailed N@MP for the installation number they would know you did not buy it from them and they would know by the number you give them who gave you the copy.

Tom.

How would it work if you bought a genuine copy from someone and they didn't have the code?

That's what happened to me - fortunately the seller took it back and refunded me.

Would N&MP have given me a code or would they have said "Tough, you should have bought it from us"?

Beats me.

How would it work if you bought a genuine copy from someone and they didn't have the code?

That's what happened to me - fortunately the seller took it back and refunded me.

Would N&MP have given me a code or would they have said "Tough, you should have bought it from us"?

Plush what happens if in years to come N & M Press go down the pan, how then do you get your installation number, to activate the CD.

John.

Guest geoff501
Plush what happens if in years to come N & M Press go down the pan, how then do you get your installation number, to activate the CD.

I think it more likely what will happen first is micro$oft's future operating systems won't run the CD.

Did this happen with SDGW1? There is a trade off between making the program secure and making it future proof. I'm sure all will agree this data will be of great interest for many, many more years. When will I need to buy the next upgrade, how much will it cost?

Anyone have access to MS Vista beta?

The final price for this bootleg copy is £127 sterling.

Tom.

Cashing the cheque for the £127 could see the writ arriving PDQ !

However the listing seems to have been removed so the seller may have been rumbled.

• 1 month later...
I would never presume to comment on what individuals do on other sites but generally it highlights the problem with a very expensive item which can actually be made for peanuts. I'm sure at another time in my life before being willing or able to part with large sums of money to satisfy my interests I would have bought it.

Mick

thats a very honest answer mick,ime afraid i would be just as guilty,sometimes funds dont stretch very far and its a case of needs must,bernard

I was informed by N&M that the only reason that the WW2 CD needs a serial number is that it was at the insistance of the PRO - their partner in the project.

Their own sole project, the SDGW CD, does not need a code.

If N&M went bust, the code list would be a valuable commodity to be sold off by the liquidators. One of us could then buy it and charge people to get a code!!!!

In the end I returned the CD to the seller as he didn't have a code and I wasn't sure I would have got one from N&MP.