Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Similar Index for U.S. medals

ackimzey

Does anyone know if there is any index or resource for determining if the U.S. awarded medals to specific soldiers? I haven't had any luck finding one.

Ann

I'd certainly like to know the answer to this one - been trying to research a Bronze star winner for a decade!!!!

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I did not find my great uncle, Grover Carter, there. But then I have no hard evidance he received a medal. A forum member found him in the MIC (which suprised me) but it did not indicate any medal was awarded. That's what started me thinking he might have received a U. S. medal since he was in the U.S. Army, but attached to the BEF for the entire time he served (he was an army doctor).

Appreciate your help. Maybe Dave will have better luck.

Ann

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I did not find my great uncle, Grover Carter, there. But then I have no hard evidance he received a medal. A forum member found him in the MIC (which suprised me) but it did not indicate any medal was awarded. That's what started me thinking he might have received a U. S. medal since he was in the U.S. Army, but attached to the BEF for the entire time he served (he was an army doctor).

Appreciate your help. Maybe Dave will have better luck.

Ann-

To the best of my knowledge, there is no official consolidated listing of medals awarded. To find out if a specific individual received one, you have to get a copy of his military service record , which is very difficult if you are not the individual concerned or surviving next of kin, but you should ask the Military Personnel Records Center (address on the Web) for a copy and see what they say. For WW2 and later service, the DD-214 form is the document which will help you the most-- Unfortunately, I don't know what the WWI equivalent form was. Ann, from your message, I interpret that you are asking if there is a way to track whether your great uncle received a Bronze Star for WWI? The answer to that is simple-- No. The Bronze star was not in existence during WWI. He probably would have received the WWI Victory Medal from the USA. Sorry. Doc2

Does anyone know if there is any index or resource for determining if the U.S. awarded medals to specific soldiers? I haven't had any luck finding one.

Ann

Ann, another thought. Since you are researching a US Army Medical Corps Officer, you may want to try to get in touch with the Army Medical Department Museum and see if they have any records on him, or if they can give you any other ideas as to how to proceed. Their website is at: http://www.ameddgiftshop.com/museum.htm

If you go to the bottom of the page and click on "contact", there is a web inquiry form you can fill out. Good luck. Doc2

Ann, from your message, I interpret that you are asking if there is a way to track whether your great uncle received a Bronze Star for WWI? The answer to that is simple-- No. The Bronze star was not in existence during WWI. He probably would have received the WWI Victory Medal from the USA. Sorry. Doc2

It's actually me who's looking up a (1944) Bronze Star winner, Doc, not Ann!

Dave :)

Maybe Dave will have better luck.

'fraid not (mind you, i don't really expect to - a website that listed the recipients of a common medal like the Bronze Star would be VAST!!!)

Thanks for the link though Annie.

Dave

Hi Ann,

For the first world war it's nearly impossible to see if a campaign medal was issued. Although they were applied for and certainly the paperwork existed in the 1920's, it is long gone now.

Dave,

Regarding the bronze star, they are nearly impossible to trace, particularly since anyone earning a combat infantry man's badge was allowed to apply for one in the late '40's (date eludes me).

So even if you have a copy of an individuals DD-214 it may not mention the bronze star.

Enlistment Index

Check the above index, if it's an off-beat name, you may find something. Also what is the naming style? (script, machine engraved etc.) it may be able to narrow down the time frame. However even if you know the man and outfit, it is very unlikely you'll find a citation in the general orders.

Neil