Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody help?

Guest AndyinOldham

Guest AndyinOldham

Hi,

I need some help deciphering my great uncle's medal card. I believe he's buried in Epehy Wood Farm cemetery. The CWGC website states that he was in the 1st/6th Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers.

I gather that he was killed in action, but am struggling to understand what's written by 'Theatre of War'.

Also, is there a reason he would have 2 service numbers? Is there any significance in the crosses by the side of 'Victory' and above his name?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-12777-1149086920.jpeg

2B is Gallipoli.

He was in a Territorial battalion. All men under Territorial enlistment terms were renumbered in March 1917 from old 4-digit numbers to new 6-digit numbers in a group that belonged to that battalion. Numbers 240000 to 280000 belonged to the 6th Battalion.

The X and + denote the particulars to be engraved on his medals. i.e. 9820 Pte. W. ROSTERN LAN. FUS.

The 1/6th Lancashire Fusiliers were with 42nd Division whilst Walter Rostern was with them. You can follow an outline of their war here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/42div.htm

Steve.

Guest AndyinOldham

That's great - thanks. I only discovered recently that he had been awarded medals. How would I go about finding out what he was awarded them for?

Thanks

These medals were campaign medals not specific gallantry medals.

The Victory & British War Medals were for soldiers (and others) who served overseas at any point during the war. There were more complicated rules but that is the gist.

The 1915 Star was for those men who went overseas between 23-11-1914 and 31-12-1915. It was to a large extent the volunteers medal before conscription came in in 1916.

Most of the 1914 Star men (overseas to France prior to 22-11-1914) were already soldiers or had already served and were "on Reserve".

Steve.

Soldiers Died in The Great War confirms the following:

1/6th Lancashire Fusiliers

240728 Private Walter Rostern

Born Wigan, Lancs

Enlisted Rochdale, Lancs

Residence Littleborough, Lancs

KinA 13.04.17 France and Flanders

Paul

The 1915 Star was for those men who went overseas between 23-11-1914 and 31-12-1915. It was to a large extent the volunteers medal before conscription came in in 1916.

Sorry to be pedantic, but this isn't strictly true. The 1914-15 Star was issued to those who served in a theatre of war between 05-08-1914 and 31-12-1915, but did not qualify for a 1914 Star. Many soldiers and sailors who fought (and died) before 23-11-1914 received a 1914-15 Star.

Regards

Gavin

Sorry, Gavin.

I was going to add the detail but I was trying to be careful not to give too much information overload. That's a good way of putting it, though without being too wordy. I'll try and remember that format.

Cheers,

Steve.

No need to say sorry Steve!

...I was trying to be careful not to give too much information overload.

I thought as much, and realised I was being picky, but I still thought I should emphasis that it's a 1914-15 Star rather than a 1915 Star!

Regards

Gavin