Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Winding Road Unfolds

IanA

I have just finished reading this book and cannot recommend it too highly. I searched this site and found only one passing reference to it. I also searched AddALL and found no copies so I'm in two minds about pushing a book which is practically unobtainable! Does anyone know whether someone like Naval & Military Press have done a reprint of it? If not, they ought to consider it.

The book was written by an under-age volunteer who seems to have served with the King's (Liverpool) Regiment (I would be very interested to know if anyone can identify the battalion) in Flanders and the Somme. The descriptions of battle are powerful, unvarnished and, sometimes, harrowing. His accounts of soldiers' lives behind the lines is equally forthright and, I would think, rare for something published in 1937.

Interesting episodes include an account of a planned brigade mutiny when a soldier was tried for sleeping at his post. It failed to materialise when, instead of being sentenced to death, the soldier was given ten years' imprisonment. Another remarkable inside story is that of being hoovered up by the military police when returning from leave in Peronne and being forced to join a scratch battalion to block the German counter attack at Cambrai.

All in all, a book which could easily be read in a single sitting and one which will leave a lasting impression on the psyche of the reader.

Cheers,

Ian

Here Here!

I am pretty certain that the author Thomas Suthren Hope was in the 5th King’s but cannot trace him anywhere and assume it was a pseudonym. The other names have also been changed.

I have a spare copy of the 1965 paperback edition, by the way.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

People should be queuing up to offer you vast sums for your spare paperback!!

I'm not sure about the pseudonym - he called himself Purves in the book's narrative. A double pseudonym??? What a pseud!

I rather hoped he might have been in the 5th King's - my grandfather served (briefly) in the 1/5th King's, got shot going over the top on the 1st day of Passchendaele, and was invalided out to continue driving his dock shunter. I should really get in touch with the King's museum in Liverpool but understand that they are preparing for a big exhibition and not answering e-mails just now.

Why should someone from Edinburgh join the King's?

Thanks for your interest and support.

Ian

I have an old paperback copy of the book which I read a few years ago. I'll have a rummage through the grarage and have another read of it, if I find it.

If I remember rightly, I was not to struck on the book, for some reason. I cannot remember why, thats why I will have another look and let you know.

Terry

i have a spare hard backed copy for sale 1937 1st printed in America, a long inscription back and front about death, apart from that not in bad condition if anybody is interested £25.00 plus postage

regards John