Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identify uniform

Chris Caul

Can anyone help with the uniform in this photo please. It is of my great grandad. All I can tell you is that he served in Mesopotamia - I have no idea which Regt/Corps.

There doesn't appear to be any markings on the uniform. The only thing that I think may be unusual is that when looking at the photo with a magnifier, it looks like there is a tool of some kind hanging off the belt buckle - possibly an allen key. My dad thinks its part of the buckle, but I think it may be something else.

Thanks,

Chris

post-1-1065533867.jpg

Sometime ago I saw a photo of a Lewis Gunner, in the Middle East, who was wearing the same style of helmet your great grandfather. There were other men in the photo but they all had another style of helmet. Could the tool on his belt indicate he was a Lewis Gunner? (I haven't the foggiest!)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Looks to me like standard British Army tropical uniform of the period: Cork Wolsey Helmet, shorts, puttees, shirt (& tunic)

Ian

As Ian stated everything is very standard British issue uniform items with nothing distinguishing. The Helmet is actually a Pith Helmet (Pith Solar Hat), shirt is unidentifiable but probably Shirt Drab No.1, Shorts are standard KD Trousers cut down locally, and the Puttees and boots are standard also.

Not much to go on sorry.

Joe Sweeney

I cannot add anything to the replies already posted, but I have a photo of an entire troop wearing identical uniforms, all of whom were part of the Camel Corps. I have been told that the thing on the belt may well have been a clip for holding a sand tool on. Probably no help to you but I thought I would share it with you anyway!

Best wishes

Guest Pete Wood

I wondered if the tool was a pick - for pulling stones out of the hooves of a mule, horse, or camel...??

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a sand tool??

I think it was like an entrenching tool but with a serrated end....supposedly to make it easier to dig out sand which after a while is heavier than mud. I am no expert I am only going on what I was told!

Thanks to everyone that replied - some interesting ideas of what the tool might be! I'm not sure I would like anything with a serrated edge hanging down in that area!

It is a possibility though - I remember being on an exchange visit with an Italian army unit and they had their bayonets hanging down between their legs - even on exercise.

Mystery not solved yet, but some more ideas to follow up - thanks again.

Chris

Guest Ian Bowbrick
I wondered if the tool was a pick - for pulling stones out of the hooves of a mule, horse, or camel...??

Th examples I have seen of this tool were always part of a clasp knife rather than a stand alone tool - was there a stand alone horse shoe pick, if that is the correct term?

Ian

Th examples I have seen of this tool were always part of a clasp knife rather than a stand alone tool - was there a stand alone horse shoe pick, if that is the correct term?

Ian

Is this what a "Marlin Spike" is ?

dave.

Ian,

The standalone device is called a "hoof picker" (LoC 12713). By WWI it was an obsolete piece of equipment but could be found. I don't think that's a "hoof picker".

Joe Sweeney