Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auxiliary Patrol Area VIII Tyne query

Robb Robinson

Does anyone have any information on the base for this Patrol area, particularly after the summer of 1916 or the wheareabouts of any images or further related details? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Robb,

Sorry I must have missed this first time round.

The Auxiliary patrol base for the Tyne area was South Shields; it was a large area from Robin Hoods Bay in the south to the Farne Islands in the north and out to about 35 miles.

The role of the Auxiliary Patrol was varied, and different ships carried out the work they were best suited to. As for images have you got a ship name or person you are researching this would give us a direction.

Regards Charles

Robb,

Charles, thanks for this. Yes I am currently researching the career of the steam trawler Viola. She was based there between September 1916 and the end of the war. I know she was involved in the rescue of the crew from the vessel Cognac in 1917, along with the Dentaria and that in August 1918 she was involved in the sinking of the UB-30 off Whitby. Any other information relating to the Patrol would be useful or if you could point me in the direction of any useful photographs relating the the base or its ships. Viola's skipper throughout the war was Charles Allum. The vessel, of course, still survives. She lies at Grytviken in South Georgia and is now known as Dias and is still in remarkable condition considering she has been laid up since the 1960s. . She must be one of the few vessels to have "seen action" in the Great War and the Falklands War.We have recenty recovered the ship's original bell from Norway. Have a look at our website

www.viola-dias.org

Regards

Robb

Sorry I must have missed this first time round.

The Auxiliary patrol base for the Tyne area was South Shields; it was a large area from Robin Hoods Bay in the south to the Farne Islands in the north and out to about 35 miles.

The role of the Auxiliary Patrol was varied, and different ships carried out the work they were best suited to. As for images have you got a ship name or person you are researching this would give us a direction.

Regards Charles

Robb,

Very intresting about Viola, being from Hull makes it moreso. Charles Allum was a Hull man and lived down Rosamond St off Hessle Road. Do you know what Division Viola was in and who was the Commander.

Regards Charles

Charles,

Charles Allum was born in London but had sailed out of Hull on the boxing fleets before the war. I will check for further info on the division but dont know the Commander's name. Any info would be most useful. Viola was built with bridge aftside which makes her fairly distinctive in images. I know that another member of the crew, by the name of Craven was lost in Lerwick harbour in 1914 and have fairly comprehensive details of the death and also have seen the logs for that period. I am looking for more sources for the Tyne Flotilla period. I also come from Hull and indeed live in the area.

Regards

Robb

Robb,

Very intresting about Viola, being from Hull makes it moreso. Charles Allum was a Hull man and lived down Rosamond St off Hessle Road. Do you know what Division Viola was in and who was the Commander.

Regards Charles