Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glasgow High School

Hambo

I have acquired a copy of the Roll of Honour for the Glasgow High School. Lots of HLI (17th and 9th rank high), Scottish Rifles Highland Regiments etc plus occasional English Regiments.

Vast majority have photo and detaild bios.

Happy to do lookups

Hambo

Hambo

If in any searches through the RoH you come across any references to Bank workers (in Scotland or abroad) I'd be grateful if you could pass on the details.

Don't go to the trouble of searching through the book just for this though, it's just if you find a reference when you are looking something else up.

Regards

Adam

Adam

My findings

Commercial Bank of Scotland

Pvt Barr 9th HLI

2nd Lt Davidson RAF

Pvt Gourlay 2nd Royal Scots

British Linen Bank

Capt Finlayson 6th HLI

Pvt MacKenzie 5th Scottish Rifles

Pvt McKinlay Canadian Seaforths

Capt Whyte RFA

Imperial Ottoman Bank

Pvt Wortabet 9th Australian Infantry

Union Bank of Scotland

2nd Lt Hamilton 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers

Glasgow Savings Bank

Sgt Forbes 1st HLI

National Bank of Scotland

Trooper Manson Queens Own Glasgow Yeomanry

Clydesdale Bank

Qtrmstr Sgt Marshall HLI

If you want further details/pictures of any of these let me know

Hambo

Hambo

That's fantastic, many thanks. You've been very kind looking these up so quickly but if I can ask one more thing and that is a date of death for each man if the roll of honour lists such a thing. That way I can match the name to the CWGC entry.

I know David McNay would also be interested in knowing if the British Linen Bank and Union Bank men have photos.

Thanks again

Adam

Sorry, should have thought about that when I did it in the first place!

Barr 20.5.17

Davidson 30.5.18

Gourlay 26.9.17

Finlayson 22.3.18

MacKenzie 20.7.16

McKinlay 25.8.17

Whyte 11.4.16

Wortabet 14.5.15

Hamilton 22.10.17

Forbes 30.9.19

Manson 10.7.17

Marshall 12.2.17

Get David to PM me with his email address. They all have pictures and bios which I will happily send him

Hambo

PM sent. Thanks very much for the assistance. I've been meaning to look this book up but the Mitchell Library doesn't have a copy as far as I can tell. I certainly didn't see it listed last night when I was there...

David

• 8 months later...

Daniel Martin TAYLOR please, Chislehurst 19 Newlands Road, Glasgow.

Born 20/05/1895, killed 28/06/1915 aged 20.

Thanks

If you are still active on this thread I would much appreciate a check on :

Name: MORRISON, ALEXANDER

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Highland Light Infantry

Unit Text: 9th (Glasgow Highlanders) Bn.

Date of Death: 19/11/1916

Service No: 5212

Additional information: Son of Thomas and Helen Morrison, of 15, Dunard Rd., Rutherglen, Glasgow.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 4.

Cemetery: ETRETAT CHURCHYARD

Home Department: Board of Trade - Mercantile Marine Survey Staff, Glasgow

Civilian Rank: Abstractor

Manythanks in advance.

If this was a school in Hillhead an Argyll and Sutherland officer, Robert Mackay, served in and survived the war. His diary is available on the internet. In his diary he talks about meeting one of his former teachers at the front.

Sorry, it's been a while since I checked this thread. At work at the moment I'll do the lookups in the morning

Alistair

Lt David Matin Taylor

7th Scottish Rifles Killed in action 28th of June 1915

The second son of Mr John E Taylor, Chislehurst Newlands

On leaving the High School he decided to adopt th e army as his profession and was gazetted Second Lieutenant in December 1912. He was promoted Lieutenant shortly after the out break of war. He went with the Scottish Rifles to Gallipoli and after the engagement of the 28th of June 1915 he was reported "Missing". Now through "lapse of time" he has been officially reported killed in action on that date, He was twenty two years of age.

There is a good photo of him and if you'd like a copy PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you

Regards Hambo

Jarvis

Lots of Morrisons and lots of 9th HLI but not your man I'm afraid

Sorry Hambo

Jarvis

Lots of Morrisons and lots of 9th HLI but not your man I'm afraid

Sorry Hambo

Thanks for your time and efforts Hambo

Alistair

Lt David Matin Taylor

7th Scottish Rifles Killed in action 28th of June 1915

The second son of Mr John E Taylor, Chislehurst Newlands

On leaving the High School he decided to adopt th e army as his profession and was gazetted Second Lieutenant in December 1912. He was promoted Lieutenant shortly after the out break of war. He went with the Scottish Rifles to Gallipoli and after the engagement of the 28th of June 1915 he was reported "Missing". Now through "lapse of time" he has been officially reported killed in action on that date, He was twenty two years of age.

There is a good photo of him and if you'd like a copy PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you

Regards Hambo

Thanks - great photo!

• 15 years later...
On 30/05/2006 at 23:14, Hambo said:

Sorry, should have thought about that when I did it in the first place!

Barr 20.5.17

Davidson 30.5.18

Gourlay 26.9.17

Finlayson 22.3.18

MacKenzie 20.7.16

McKinlay 25.8.17

Whyte 11.4.16

Wortabet 14.5.15

Hamilton 22.10.17

Forbes 30.9.19

Manson 10.7.17

Marshall 12.2.17

Get David to PM me with his email address. They all have pictures and bios which I will happily send him

Hambo

hello  I sent you a message re Capt Finlayson 6 HLI

thanks 

Max

Hi Max

Sorry, I haven't been on the dite for ages.

Captain Alexander Finlayson 6th HLI 22nd March 1918

He was the only son of F.B. Finlayson of 84, Camperdown Road, Scotstoun. He was born at Pollockshaws on the 14th of March 1897. On leaving Glasgow High School he joined the staff of the Linien Bank in Glasgow. He enlisted in March 1915 in the 2/6th HLI and six months later was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant. After training at Ripon and Oxford he went to France in July 1916 where he was attached to the Northumberland Fusiliers   and was ent to the front three days later at Messines. He was engaged in every battle which his battalion took part in from Messines to the Somme  He was at Guemappe on the 23rd of April 1917 when he was slightly wounded but stayed at his post until he was relieved the next day. He was MID in Sir Douglas Haig's despatched of the 3rd of April 1917 "as deserving of special mention" and was promoted to Captain in the field in July 1917. After the Somme he took part in Passchendale after which his battalion made a forced march to St Quentin. He was reported missing the day after the start of the German spring offensive and was officially declared to have died on that date on the 26th of July 1919.   

Cheers John   

Finlayson A.jpg

Thanks John, very much obliged, I am doing a bit of research on him and this is a great help

regards

max