Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A WW1 Sketch Book

Willywombat

I recently acquired a sketch book containing portraits and characatures in pencil and some in watercolour. The artist has signed as SJM Ray and some of the sketches are dated 1919.

All of the sketches depict members of what is obviously a Scottish regiment, and I'm trying to find out who the artist was and (a long shot, this!) the identity of any of those depicted.

As a starting point I have attached one of the sketches. Perhaps someone can identify the regiment? Obviously, from the artist's point of view the face was more important than the uniform, but perhaps there may be some clues, notably in the collar badges, which seem to consist of two connected oval-shaped devices?

post-12738-1148905588.jpg

wow, you lucky person !! Try David Cohen ' great war art " he's on the web, he might know.

Interesting story, but I can't help much. My interest; a few years ago I bought an old sea chest of WW1 memorabilia and in it was a sketch book of a man who sailed in 1916 and returned in 1918. Lots of pix, a couple even done in the reserve trenches, I think!

Andy M

Odd - this also appeared in another thread - Uniforms, etc - and I replied there. Oh well: definitely Argyll's, I'd say, and the holder of an MC and Bar, I suspect. Must cut it down.

Also, if done in 1919, I wonder if it's someone in the Army of Occupation in Germany - just a thought. What about trying the Argyll's Museum in Stirling?