Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieutenant Kevin Parnell McNamara R.F.C

medals1976

Do any forum members know anything about the above Officer? I have some information about this Pilot whom was Killed in Action 29/06/16 with 24 Squadron and is buried in Arras. He is listed in "Sky their battlefield" book as being shot down in combat and was a combat claim. Do any members know anything further how he died or any background information which would be helpful?

Many thanks.

Mike.

• 2 years later...
Do any forum members know anything about the above Officer? I have some information about this Pilot whom was Killed in Action 29/06/16 with 24 Squadron and is buried in Arras. He is listed in "Sky their battlefield" book as being shot down in combat and was a combat claim. Do any members know anything further how he died or any background information which would be helpful?

Many thanks.

Mike.

Hello Mike,

Although you posted your enquiry more than two years ago, I am hoping that somehow, you will get my message.

I have some information on Kevin Parnell McNamara which you may be interested in, and I have reason to believe that he is my Great Uncle.

Please contact me at petraloka@hotmail.com

Regards,

Margo Kennedy

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks.

Mike.

kevin.jpg

kev2.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest margoken

Hell

Kevin Parnell McNamara is my great Uncle. I can be contacted at petraloka@hotmail.com

My name is Margo Kennedy.

v 15 2008, 05:53 AM' post='1051809']

kevin.jpg

kev2.jpg

• 8 years later...

McNamara an Australian was shot down by Lt Otto Parschau a Pour le Merite [Blue Max] winner who shortly after died of wounds. A very early Australian RFC casualty.

Regards, Bruce.

McNamara-1.jpg

McNamara3.jpg

Parschau Pour Le Mérite.jpg

Here is an extract from an article about Australians in the RFC that I wrote for the Journal of the Australian Society of WWI Aero Historians:

McNamara, Second Lieutenant Kevin Parnell; No. 24 Squadron R.F.C.

Kevin McNamara was born in Brunswick, Victoria, in December 1899.  His first service in the R.F.C. was an observer in No. 11 Squadron, based at Bertangles aerodrome on the Western Front.  On 18 November 1915 he was in Vickers F.B.5 5456 flown by 2Lt. H. Chamberlain when the airmen were initially posted as missing but later returned.  He then trained as a pilot, and qualified for Royal Aero Club Certificate No. 2331 at Norwich on 23 January 1916, before being posted to No. 24 Squadron, a D.H.2 fighter unit at Bertangles aerodrome.  He flew D.H.2 5991 on 17 June 1916 when it was damaged by Archie and forced to land at Vert Galant after investigating an enemy aeroplane when on patrol.

On 29 June 1916 2Lt. McNamara was the pilot of D.H.2 5963 on an offensive patrol.  He attacked an enemy aeroplane over Clery, but was then attacked from behind by another, before he was seen to spiral down to the ground, with fatal result.

2Lt. K. P. McNamara has no known grave, and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the Missing, France.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth