Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

vc

shark

the number of VC is about 600 for the ww1 (correct me if i am wrong)

how many private soldiers were award the VC and how many were strecher bearers?

thanks

*Victoria Cross Forum April 2006

This small but specialized forum in both Dutch and English was formed in December 2004. The objectives of the moderators is to give the VC-recipients the honour they deserve and we want to get the Victoria Cross more known in the Netherlands and in Belgium. Currently the forum has about 65 registered members from around the world and 4000 postings. The topics are specific to the Victoria Cross, the recipients and the actions associated with the events.

http://www.dvdhoven.nl/Victoria-Cross/

Canadian VC Recipients - Canada Veteran Affairs Feb 2006 [updated]

All 94 Canadian winners of the VC award winners from all military actions including the Great War. The site contains full citations to these awards, their Attestation Papers, some medical forms are provided and some recipients have photographs. This site enables a quick and comprehensive review of these Canadian Victoria Cross winners. At this time there are no living Canadian recipients of the Victoria Cross.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm.../group01/cdn_vc

Captain Noel Godfrey Chavasse, VC and Bar, MC, RAMC. April 2006

This is a simple text website on Captain Noel Chavasse who was Medical Officer of the 10th (Liverpool Scottish) Battalion, the King's (Liverpool) Regiment, during the first three years of the First World War. He was the only man to win the British Military's highest award for valour, the Victoria Cross, twice during the Great War.

http://www.chavasse.u-net.com/chavasse.html

Medical Holders of the Victoria Cross.

(Surgeons, Nursing, Attendants etc.)

T/ Captain Harold ACKROYD VC. MC.

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd to 6th Battalion The Royal Berkshires

Gazetted: 6th September 1917 +++ VC Register No .4

Captain William Barnsley ALLEN. VC, DSO, MC & Bar

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd to 246th (W.Riding) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.

Gazetted: 26th October, 1916. +++ VC Register No: 20.

T/Captain Henry John ANDREWS. VC, MBE.

Indian Medical Service.

Gazetted: 9th September 1920 +++ Register No: 32

Major William BABTIE (later Sir W) VC, KCB, KCMG.

Royal Army Medical Corps.

Gazetted: 20th April 1900 +++ VC Register No: 43

Captain Noel Godfrey CHAVASSE VC & Bar, MC.

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd to The King's (Liverpool) Regiment.

Gazetted: 26th October 1916 & Bar 14th September 1917.+++ VC Register No: 207

Surgeon John CRIMMIN VC, CB, CIE, VD.

Bombay Medical Services, Indian Army.

Gazetted: 17th September 1889. +++ VC Register No: 274

Assistant Surgeon Campbell Mellis DOUGLAS VC

2ND Battalion, 24th Regiment.

Gazetted: 17th December 1867 +++ VC Register No: 340.

Lieutenant Henry Edward Manning DOUGLAS VC CB, CMG, DSO.

Royal Army Medical Corps

Gazetted: 29th March 1901 +++ VC Register No 341.

Provisional Lance-Corporal Joseph John FARMER VC.

Army Hospital Corps (later RAMC)

Gazetted: 16th May 1881 +++ VC Register No: 393.

Captain John Leslie GREEN VC.

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd to 1/5th Battalion Sherwood Foresters.

Gazetted: 5th August 1916 +++ VC Register No: 487.

Lance-Corporal Henry Eric HARDEN VC.

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd to 45th Royal Marine Commando.

Gazetted: 8th March 1945. +++ VC Register No: 527.

Surgeon Anthony Dickson HOME VC, KCB.

90th Regiment

Gazetted: 18th June 1858 +++ VC Register No: 589

Captain Neville Reginald HOWSE VC, KCB, KCMG.

New South Wales Medical Staff Corps. Australian Forces.

Gazetted: 4th June 1901 +++ VC Register No: 601

Captain Bellenden Seymour HUTCHESON VC, MC.

Canadian Army Medical Corps attchd to 1st Central Ontario Regiment C.E.F.

Gazetted: 14th December 1918 +++ VC Register No: 611

Lieutenant Edgar Thomas INKSON VC, DSO.

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd to The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Gazetted: 15th January 1901 +++ VC Register No: 617

Surgeon Ferdinand Simeon LE QUESNE VC.

Medical Staff (later RAMC)

Gazetted: 29th October 1889. +++ VC Register No: 739

Surgeon Major Owen Edward Pennefeather LLOYD VC, KCB. (later Sir O).

Army Medical Service (later RAMC).

Gazetted: 2nd January 1894 +++ VC Register No: 748.

Assistant Surgeon Valentine Munbee McMASTER VC.

78th Regiment.

Gazetted: 18th June 1858. +++ VC Register No:

T/Lieutenant George Allen MALING VC

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd. to 12th Battalion The Rifle Brigade.

Gazetted: 18th November 1915 +++ VC Register No: 828

Surgeon Captain Arthur MARTIN- LEAKE. VC and Bar.

Royal Army Medical Corps attched 5th Field Ambulance.

Gazetted 13th May 1902 and Bar Gazetted 18th February 1915.

Private Richard George MASTERS VC

Royal Army Service Corps attchd. To 141st Field Ambulance.

Gazetted: 8th May 1918 +++ VC Register No: 842.

Lieutenant William Henry Snyder NICKERSON VC, CB, CMG.

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd. to Mounted Infantry

Gazetted: 12th February 1901 +++ VC Register No: 930.

Captain Harry Sherwood RANKEN VC.

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd to 1st Battalion The King's Royal Rifle Corps.

Gazetted: 16th November 1914 +++ VC Register No: 1020

Surgeon Major James Henry Reynolds VC.

Army Medical Department.

Gazetted: 17th June 1879 +++ VC Register No: 1042

Captain John Fox RUSSELL VC, MC.

Royal Army Medical Corps attchd. to 1/6th Battalion The Royal Welch Fusiliers.

Gazetted: 11th January 1918. +++ VC Register No: 1088

Captain John Alexander SINTON VC, OBE.

Indian Medical Service

Gazetted: 21st June 1916 +++ VC Register No: 1149.

Assistant Surgeon William Henry Thomas SYLVESTER VC.

23rd Regiment

Gazetted: 20th November 1857 +++ VC Register No. 1199.

Surgeon Captain Harry Frederick WHITCHURCH VC.

Indian Medical Service.

Gazetted: 16th July 1895 +++ VC Register No. 1298.

VICTORIA CROSS RESEARCH [Created by the late Alfred J. Askin]

Internet Source: http://www.victoriacross.co.uk/

thank you

i will have a look at the website

i didin't notice Christopher Cox strecher bearer in the list

I suppose that you already know Mr Cox as he won it at Achiet le Grand?!

Private Christopher Augustus Cox, stretcher bearer in the 7th Bedfords. Born Xmas Day 1889, Kings Langley, Herts, died 24th August 1959 at Kings langley in an accident at work ironically. Won his VC for actions between 13th & 17th March 1917.

i am working on a memorial project for Cox at Achiet (plaque for action) and an information panel

i would like to find out how many stretcher bearer were award a VC

if you can help?

you have helped me a lot in the past

thanks again

I have a photo of his grave at King's Langley if anyone's interested I can mail it.

Chris C

I have a photo of his grave at King's Langley if anyone's interested I can mail it.

Chris C

Sorry i didn't realize that i'd put my topic in the wrong place!

and thankyou Chris. I would like to have the photo of his grave. Philippe

thanks for the photo

i already notice that in some document his date of death is wrong

thank you

all the best

Walter Parker

his courage under fire between 30 April and 2 May at Anzac when, as a stretcher bearer, he looked after dozens of his wounded comrades despite his own wounds, earned him the Victoria Cross

James Duffy

6th Bn The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

On 27 December 1917 at Kereina Peak, Palestine, whilst the company was holding a very exposed position, Private Duffy, a stretcher-bearer, and another stretcher-bearer went out to bring in a seriously wounded comrade. When the other stretcher-bearer was wounded, Private Duffy returned to get another man, who was killed almost immediately. The private then went forward alone and, under very heavy fire, succeeded in getting both wounded men under cover and attended to their injuries. His gallantry undoubtedly saved both men's lives

John Young Private 87th (Canadian Grenadier Guards) Bn

stretcher-bearer John Young ignored the danger and tended to the wounded. When he ran out of bandages and dressings he braved a storm of bullets to replenish his supplies. It took him an hour to apply his ministrations, but Young remained with the wounded despite continuous exposure to enemy fire. Then, with the capture of Dury, he organized rescue parties to bring in the wounded to a field dressing station.

George Clare

Clare served as a Private with the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers. He was awarded his V.C. for action at Bourlon Wood, France, during the Battle of Cambrai, November 28-29, 1917. From his citation: "For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty when, acting as a stretcher-bearer during a most intense and continuous enemy bombardment, Pte. Clare dressed and conducted wounded over the open to the dressing-station.

Private James O’Rourke

7th (1st British Columbia) Bn., Canadian Expeditionary Force

During the period 15/17 August 1917 at Hill 70 near Lens, France, Private O'Rourke, who was a stretcher-bearer, worked unceasingly for three days and nights bringing in the wounded, dressing their wounds and getting them food and water. During the whole of this period the area in which he worked was swept by heavy machine-gun and rifle fire and on several occasions he was knocked down and partially buried by enemy shells. His courage and devotion in carrying out his rescue work in spite of exhaustion and incessant heavy fire inspired all ranks and undoubtedly saved many lives.

Also this mans citation also included mention of working as a stretcher bearer: Corporal Theodore Veale VC - 8th Bn, The Devonshire Regiment

Hope this helps

Mick

Found some more for you.

3970 Private Martin O'Meara, VC of the 16th Battalion.

Private O'Meara was a stretcher bearer and during heavy fighting at Pozieres, France from 9 August 1916 to 12 August 1916, he repeatedly ventured into no man's land and brought in wounded.

He was wounded himself on three occasions.

Private Poulter,

1/4th Bn. Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment. a stretcher-bearer, carried in turn ten wounded men on his back under continual fire, then, after the British troops retreated, went back alone across a river to rescue another wounded man left behind. He then tended the wounds of forty men on his own, before attempting a further rescue mission. This time he was hit, and seriously wounded. He was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Lance/Corporal William Harold Coltman, VC, DCM and bar, MM and bar (1891 – 1974). 1/6th Territorial Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment.

The VC was awarded for his extraordinary devotion to duty when on 3rd October 1918 at Mannequin Hill, near Sequehart, France, he sought out wounded infantrymen left behind by his retiring battalion. He dressed their wounds and made three separate forays to carry the wounded on his back to their own lines. It is said he worked unceasingly to care for the wounded for over 48 hours.

Dodgy business stretcher bearing!

thank you

Couldn't find any more., but I'm sure if i have missed any then someone will tell us!

Mick

quote: Walter Parker

his courage under fire between 30 April and 2 May at Anzac when, as a stretcher bearer, he looked after dozens of his wounded comrades despite his own wounds, earned him the Victoria Cross

Mick,

Some further details to add to your post No.9 above

L/Cpl Walter R. Parker, Portsmouth Battalion, RMLI, Royal Naval Division

at 400 Plateau, Anzac sector, 30th April-2nd May 1915

"On the night of 30th April-1st May 1915, a message asking for ammunition, water, and medical stores was received from an isolated fire trench at Gaba Tepe [sic].

A party of non-commissioned officers and men were detailed to carry water and ammunition, and in response to a call for a volunteer from among the stretcher-bearers, Parker at once came forward; he had during the previous three days displayed conspicuous bravery and energy under fire while in charge of the battalion stretcher-bearers.

Several men had already been killed in a previous attempt to bring assistance to the men holding the fire trench. To reach this trench it was necessary to travers an area at least four hundred yards wide, which was completely exposed and swept by rifle fire. It was already daylight when the party emerged from shelter and at once one of the men was wounded; Parker organised a stretcher party and then going on alone succeeded in reaching the fire trench, all the water and ammunition carriers had been either killed or wounded.

After his arrival he rendered assistance to the wounded in the trench, displaying extreme courage and remaining cool and collected in very trying circumstances. The trench had finally to be evacuated, and Parker helped to remove and attend to the wounded, although he himself was seriously wounded during the operation."

Parker never fully recovered from his wounds and died in 1936

citation & details from Stephen Snelling's 'VCs of the First World War - Gallipoli'

Regards

Michael D.R.

When i think about it, i didn't do any of them much credit. I must have been rushed.

Mick

Lance/Corporal William Harold Coltman, VC, DCM and bar, MM and bar (1891 – 1974). 1/6th Territorial Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment.

The VC was awarded for his extraordinary devotion to duty when on 3rd October 1918 at Mannequin Hill, near Sequehart, France, he sought out wounded infantrymen left behind by his retiring battalion. He dressed their wounds and made three separate forays to carry the wounded on his back to their own lines. It is said he worked unceasingly to care for the wounded for over 48 hours.

William Coltman is my avatar chap

he was the most decorated ranker in the British Forces.

apparently on volunteering for the Staffords. he asked the O.C if on religious grounds he could be a stretcher bearer, and this was granted.

he never fired a shot in anger.

The bravest of the brave..

Ivan