Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charitable donations

Kate Wills

Over the past months, many Pals have shown me great kindness in several ways, such as providing information, photocopies, photographs, slides (Thanks Marco, they arrived on Saturday) etc, etc. Firstly, thankyou all, and thankyou Chris for making all this possible.

Most people (including me) say 'don't bother sending anything, glad to help' etc, so when such favours are done, I make a small donation to charity (usually Save the Strays, a local one-woman animal welfare charity that I assist with some practical work). I do this as, rather than give £1 here or £2 there to help maintain the site, I prefer to give Chris a noticeable amount from time to time. I see this as one way of spreading some of the happiness I gain from being a Pal.

So, is this OK with everybody? If you would like me to give in a particular direction for your own favourite charity, I am equally happy to do so.

Kate - That sounds a good idea, I like it. I have had many Pals send me things, or do things for me and they have all refused payment, for which I am grateful for (still being off sick restricts the cash-flow) but slightly embarrassed by.

So, if I ever find myself in a position to help a Pal and they want to contribute to a charity, mine are:

The National Fire Service's Benevolent Fund & the Poppy Appeal (obvious really).

Kate

A number of Pals have done me similar favours by way of photos, etc. My previously unadvertised "repayment" is to make a donation the next time I'm in a regimental museum. My thanks for recent assistance has been by a donation to the Cheshires', where I've been researching over the last couple of weeks.

John

B)