Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any Royal Naval Division Experts Out There?

the gunners dream

Hi there,

I'm tentatively assuming that this is the Royal Naval Division's version of an MIC, or should I say RNVR?

Can someone advise me on the entry for BZ 4445 Able Seaman John Astill? Does FR mean France and what does I.C. 1154/1918 mean?

These are his deatils from the CWGC site:

Name: ASTILL, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit Text: Anson Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 30/05/1918

Service No: BZ/4445

Additional information: Son of William and Ada Mary Astill. Native of Nottingham. Il.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. G. 6.

Cemetery: BAGNEUX BRITISH CEMETERY, GEZAINCOURT

CopyRNDMIC.jpg

Many thanks,

Steve Smith

Rather than being an index card it is a Medal Roll Page{ie what the MiC reference on an Army MiC refer to}

"Fr" Would I imagine refer to France

IC Possibly Internal communication??

Thanks for the prompt replies, did these chaps have MICS?

By the way, I can't access the link?

Steve

Hi Mick,

Thanks for your help, one thing I couldn't find when I did a search for him was a medal index card. Is this available, or are they held under another ADM heading at Kew?

Steve

Steve,

Medals are not my thing, but from what I've seen written by others, I gather that Navy men (and RND counted as Navy) didn't have MICs. In any event, MICs refer to the info on a Medal Roll, and you have that, so you presumably have all the info available.

Mick

Mick,

No probs, that clears up up what I'd already thought and the medal roll gives me the info I need anyway.

Steve

The navy didn't adopt MICs, they stuck with straight medal rolls as illustrated and as you can see they can give you more information than a MIC. Other information (MIDs decorations) would be on his service records, as it was for the army. MICs are only helpful because 1) they are online and 2) so many army service records are lost.

IC (if I remember correctly) = Inquisitions Certificate, what that boils down (paraphrasing) to is that his pair were sent to his father after the numbered death certificate had been seen.

A copy of his service card will be in ADM 339/2 on microfilm at Kew.