Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A little help for a novice?

ianlauriston

Good day

I have this evening tracked down my grandfather's medal card. He was Gunner William Lauriston no.181749 and died of wounds on 1 July 1918, being buried in St. Hilaire Cemetery extention, Frevent.

Whilst there are strangely two William Lauristons in the RA:1 RGA, 1RFA this seems to be no more than a coincidence. My grandfather's card (attached, hopefully!!) confirms his unit and seems to note an entitlement to two medals. However I do not know the meaning of the references alongside under "Roll" and "Page".

Neither do I understand the comments in "Remarks". Here it seems to say"Retd (1743KR(A?)1912) 8100/Adt. The 8100 /Adt is repeated at the bottom righthand corner of the card.

Any observations would be very welcome.

Ian Lauriston

Hello

nothing attached sorry

having more than one card is not unusual

The rolls and pages refer to the medal roll books (page numbers) held at the NA in Kew

KR means kings regulations but I am not familar enough with them

Ian

Rtd & Adt refer to the Medals being returned to the relevant Medal Office.It would be prudent to obtain the Medal Roll page

It would be prudent to obtain the Medal Roll page

Which can be done only at the NA, Kew. The references against the "Roll" and "Page" that you do not understand are the Army Medal Office references to William Laureston's entry in the actual medal roll itself. These references can be translated by using a cross reference book index at the NA into a WO329/XXXX reference which will be for the medal roll itself.

Steve