Ron

During the First World War soldiers stationed in the area of

Salisbury Plain near Fovant cut their regimental badges into

the turf. The first was cut by the London Rifle Brigade in 1916

and took three months to complete in off-duty time. After the

at the end of the war, the badges became overgrown although

some regiments continued to pay local workers for their

maintenance. So did the Australian Government but this interest

lapsed at the outbreak of the Second World War.

However in 1949 the Fovant Home Guard Old Comrade's Association

decided to restore them together with the badge of the Australian

Expeditionary Force. Badges of the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and the

Wiltshire Regiment were added.

But time has taken its toll and at the last count what remained were:

The Royal Wiltshire Regiment

The Wiltshire Regiment

YMCA

6th Battalion, The London Regiment (9th City of London Rifles)

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

7th (City of London) Battalion, The London Regiment

Devonshire Regiment

Post Office Rifles

London Rifle Brigade

Australian Imperial Force

Australian Map

That count was some years ago and I haven't passed by there lately

to see what remains today.

Anybody got any more recent information?

Ron

British Archaeology had a feature on this in one of its recent issues.

Yes Ron, they're still there but look as though they could do with a bit of renovation.

Have I ever seen them - no - but you can make them out quite clearly on Google Earth. (Just type in "fovant, uk" and it will take you straight there) Fortunately they're within a high resolution bit.

Ray

Ray- maybe it's me or my computer- but I can't see them. It's fairly high res and a clear day -but I cant see nowt- someone has listed some of the carvings, but I can't make owt out.....

Spike- Ok, I take it you've found Fovant - go a short distance ESE and you'll find a round feature (looks like a "henge") - this is on top of the hill which snakes along from SW-NE. The badges are on the hill between the round feature and Fovant, partly in the shade - not all are clear - the best one is star shaped immediately West of the round thingy - Ray

Hi all,

as you are probably aware there is also the Australian 'Rising Sun' badge at Codford, and my particular favourite, the chalk kiwi at Bulford. This was carved by NZ soldiers in 1919 to commemorate their presence on the Plain in the Great War, in particular at Sling Camp.

cheers

R

post-1506-1148576609.jpg

i have a book about them somewhere

regards john

I pointed out the Kiwi to my son whilst we were walking nearby last weekend.

I'm lucky enough to live right on the edge of Salisbury Plain - you can walk across a lot of it most weekends, and I do!

Alan

Yes Ron, they're still there but look as though they could do with a bit of renovation.

Ray

An observation that will distress the Fovant Badges Society, which was rejuvenated a few years ago after the secretary had a stroke. Its principal officers feature a number of high-ranking ex-officers, who embarked on a successful fund-raising campaign. Previously maintenance of the badges was carried out by volunteer labour, but is now contracted out to a company which is testing new techniques of keeping them smart., deterioration having been noticed in some renovated bades after only a year of two. 11 Signal Regiment in Blandford is looking after the Royal Signals badge.

Because of high costs the Society has decided to "let go" the Royal Warwickshire and 7th City of London badges near Sutton Mandeville. and the map of Australia and YMCA badge Many other carvings, some little better than graffiti, were allowed to disappear after WWI:

possible initials "??P" east of map of Australia

?AN to west of map of Australia

Royal Army Service Corps (not seen in any photograph; "Royal" was not included in the Corps title until November 1918; any badge would have been very ornate; confused with RAMC badge?)

possible badge east of RAMC badge

four-legged animal (dingo?) "reversed out" close to RAMC badge (ie animal's body is turfed, with chalk background)

Royal Army Medical Corps east of YMCA badge

square close to RAMC badge

initials P O R (Post Office Rifles) close to square

Red Cross (said to have been made by Australian patients, possibly an embellishment of the RAMC badge)

7th City of London Regiment symbol said to have been cut next to that the 6th City of London Rifles, before being recut at Sutton Mandeville, but is not visible in photographs

"9th" (could be 7th?) appears between 6th City of London Regiment and Australian Commonwealth Military Force badge in photographs taken before June 1917

Machine Gun Corps - no photographic evidence

four-legged animal looking over shoulder, probably the "Chinese Dragon" of the 9th Royal Berkshire (under ACMF badge)

King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (with "M B" above French horn)

9th Royal Berks[hire Regiment](title) - later the 37th Training Reserve Battalion

35th T[raining] R[eserve] [battalion] (title), with faint "R" to east of "35"

37th T[raining] R[eserve] [battalion] (title) )

cross & crown - possibly Queen Victoria's Rifles

part of animal's body

kangaroo (cut before February 1917)

35th Training Reserve Battalion – Drums (between Post Office Rifles and Devonshire Regiment badges)

Voluntary Aid Detachment (possibly carved in 1919, but no photographic evidence; I have yet to trace an illustration of this carving)

In 2001 the Society mounted a major appeal which resulted in a £70,000 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Membership is about 270, and the Society website indicates how to join. There is also a collecting box at a layby offering a good view of the main range of badges. (It used to be a green-painted mail box, but someone nicked it.)

The Society Newsletter for 2006 shows some of the renovated badges, and they do seem a little crude compared with the originals, which were a tribute to their creators - men already undergoing intensive military training, working with primitive tools on a very steep hillside.

Moonraker

Ray

An observation that will distress the Fovant Badges Society, which was rejuvenated a few years ago after the secretary had a stroke. Its principal officers feature a number of high-ranking ex-officers, who embarked on a successful fund-raising campaign. Previously maintenance of the badges was carried out by volunteer labour, but is now contracted out to a company which is testing new techniques of keeping them smart., deterioration having been noticed in some renovated bades after only a year of two. 11 Signal Regiment in Blandford is looking after the Royal Signals badge.

Because of high costs the Society has decided to "let go" the Royal Warwickshire and 7th City of London badges near Sutton Mandeville. and the map of Australia and YMCA badge Many other carvings, some little better than graffiti, were allowed to disappear after WWI:

possible initials "??P" east of map of Australia

?AN to west of map of Australia

Royal Army Service Corps (not seen in any photograph; "Royal" was not included in the Corps title until November 1918; any badge would have been very ornate; confused with RAMC badge?)

possible badge east of RAMC badge

four-legged animal (dingo?) "reversed out" close to RAMC badge (ie animal's body is turfed, with chalk background)

Royal Army Medical Corps east of YMCA badge

square close to RAMC badge

initials P O R (Post Office Rifles) close to square

Red Cross (said to have been made by Australian patients, possibly an embellishment of the RAMC badge)

7th City of London Regiment symbol said to have been cut next to that the 6th City of London Rifles, before being recut at Sutton Mandeville, but is not visible in photographs

"9th" (could be 7th?) appears between 6th City of London Regiment and Australian Commonwealth Military Force badge in photographs taken before June 1917

Machine Gun Corps - no photographic evidence

four-legged animal looking over shoulder, probably the "Chinese Dragon" of the 9th Royal Berkshire (under ACMF badge)

King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (with "M B" above French horn)

9th Royal Berks[hire Regiment](title) - later the 37th Training Reserve Battalion

35th T[raining] R[eserve] [battalion] (title), with faint "R" to east of "35"

37th T[raining] R[eserve] [battalion] (title) )

cross & crown - possibly Queen Victoria's Rifles

part of animal's body

kangaroo (cut before February 1917)

35th Training Reserve Battalion – Drums (between Post Office Rifles and Devonshire Regiment badges)

Voluntary Aid Detachment (possibly carved in 1919, but no photographic evidence; I have yet to trace an illustration of this carving)

In 2001 the Society mounted a major appeal which resulted in a £70,000 grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Membership is about 270, and the Society website indicates how to join. There is also a collecting box at a layby offering a good view of the main range of badges. (It used to be a green-painted mail box, but someone nicked it.)

The Society Newsletter for 2006 shows some of the renovated badges, and they do seem a little crude compared with the originals, which were a tribute to their creators - men already undergoing intensive military training, working with primitive tools on a very steep hillside.

Moonraker

Try http://local.live.com

Type in "fovant, uk" and zoom in a little. You can see them clear as day, albeit in this view they're upside down!

I'm not sure how old the aerial photography is on that site ( possibly a couple of years at least) but I can clearly make out nine badges.

Try http://local.live.com

Type in "fovant, uk" and zoom in a little. You can see them clear as day, albeit in this view they're upside down!

I'm not sure how old the aerial photography is on that site ( possibly a couple of years at least) but I can clearly make out nine badges.

Thanks for that. Much better definition of the badges than on Google Earth, where they are all but invisible because of shade from the hill.

Pictures are quite old though; as my house doesn't yet have its loft conversion (which was completed in 2002, and is visible on Google Earth).

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

I can see them on local.live clear as day...thanks Mr McNay.

Ray, they are much clearer than on Google Earth ....check them out, however old they are.

the book is called "badges in the chalk" printed during the 1950`s compiled by a Laurence Combes,it lists all the soldiers buried there, units stationed at the camp and surrounding area etc, one or two pictures of the badges in the 1950`s

the book is called "badges in the chalk" printed during the 1950`s compiled by a Laurence Combes,it lists all the soldiers buried there, units stationed at the camp and surrounding area etc, one or two pictures of the badges in the 1950`s

This booklet has gone through several editions; I have the fourth, published in 1984, a later one, not dated, and (perhaps) the latest of 2002, with lots of colour pics - it's available from the Fovant Badges Society. The list of units based locally is not comprehensive, and James,British Regiments 1914-1918 lists others; in a couple of other cases the only evidence that a battalion was based locally is the badge it carved in the hillside.

Moonraker

Sorry for the delay Spike, I've been away. Can't say I'm impressed with "local.live" - it either doesn't work or it doesn't like my Mac - all I get is a blank screen!

Ray

Spike - Nope!! Its either the chalk from 2 inches or a Mac-proof web site (there are some of them around) all I get is a blank screen - never mind, perhaps I'll have a look next time I'm in the area.

Ray

Having googled "local.live" I find that its a Windows rival to Google earth so I wouldn't expect it to work.

Having googled "local.live" I find that its a Windows rival to Google earth so I wouldn't expect it to work.

That's probably it Ray

D**n that Bill Gates <_<

... at least we don't get viruses (or whatever the plural of virus is) - who's Bill Gates - any relation to Pearly?

Virii, :blink:

Bill may not get quite the judgement he expects at said "Pearly" gates. Not if god bought a microsoft laptop