Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9 Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusilers

Bazezah

Hi All

I'm researching my Grandfathers brothers Service Record and found he served in the 9Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. He was 30786 Albert Herbert Beckingham, died 10 August 1917. Buried in the New Irish Farm Cemetery, Ieper, West Vlaanderen, Belguim.

Now we get to the point. Albert was born and raised in North London. He lived with his parents at 50 Kentish Town Road, Camden Town, London. Therefore how did come to serve in the Inniskillings, I know he could have been transfered after his initial enlistment but would he have not been transfered to a sister Battalion or Regiment assuming his original Regiment was not the Inniskillings.

I hope that makes sence.

Any information on the above and/or the 9 Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers would be gratefully received.

Thanking you in advance

Bazezah

Hi Bazezah

Broadly speaking, the 9th Inniskillings recruited in County Tyrone. But after the losses sustained on the somme and after, significant numbers of men from other areas were transferred into all battalions of the Ulster Division. Recruiting in Ireland had dropped below a level which would sustain Irish battalions in the field so the only way they could be maintained was to bring in non-Irish, such as, it would seem, your grandfather's brother.

Perhaps other forum members might know more details?

Swizz