Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Was Zeebrugge hero now HMS Natal Where in 1915?

Len Trim

Hi again,

still researching GF a Zeebrugge hero. I know from his records that he was on HMS Natal all of 1915, but where was HMS Natal during 1915? My father says his dad took part in a diversionary raid in Gallipoli while the last of the troops were taken off. When you have the ship name how do you find out where the ship was?

Len

leonard.trim@zetnet.co.uk

Len

If you can get to the National Archives they have HMS Natal's Ships' Log up to November 30th 1915 in the series ADM 53.

Steve

As you probably know, HMS Natal blew up at anchor 31 Dec 1915. A lucky few were on home leave - do you know when your GF was drafted off the ship?

As you probably know, HMS Natal blew up at anchor 31 Dec 1915. A lucky few were on home leave - do you know when your GF was drafted off the ship?

His record shows him onboard from 1/1/15 to 31/12/15 when he was then transferred via Chatham to the Intrepid which he was the on from 14/3/16 to 18/12/16. It's so frustrating when you have a list of the ships he served on, with the dates, but no idea where the ship was during that period.

Len

Len

If you can get to the National Archives they have HMS Natal's Ships' Log up to November 30th 1915 in the series ADM 53.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve. One day I have no doubt I will get there.

Len

Len

A good book on the Natal destruction is 'They called it Accident' by Cecil Hampshire. 1915 was spent

mainly at Scapa Flow as no longer did the Grand Fleet go out into the North Sea on the off-chance of

meeting the enemy.

The log of the Natal for 1915 shows that with one exception the log entries merely record a series of

arrivals and departures from Invergordon and Scapa. Went to Birkenhead in November for docking

and refitting and then back to Scapa in December.

For rest and recreation Admiral Jellicoe sent a few ships at a time down to Cromarty harbour as it could not accomadate all of the Grand Fleet. Natal suffered a series of explosions at around 3.25 in the afternoon

on the 31st.

Regards

John

Thanks for that info John. At first glance it does not seem to fit with the family stories that he was at Gallipoli, but as other family stories are beginning to check out true I'll keep looking into it.

Len

His record shows him onboard from 1/1/15 to 31/12/15 when he was then transferred via Chatham to the Intrepid

Then Your Gfthr either survived the explosion that destoryed the NATAL or he was on home leave. A local (to where he lived) newspaper for January 1916 might give more information.