Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

96 Field Company R.E.

edwin astill

I have just transcribed the War Diary of 96th Field Coy for the period 1/6/16 to 31/3/17 (photocopy from RE Museum). I'd be happy to email the MS Word Doc to anyone with an interest. (I am assuming this will not upset the Museum people).

My favourite entry is that explaining one task the company undertook "Training Backward sappers".... not 'disadvantaged' or 'slower learners' in those days!

Regards

Edwin Astill

• 4 years later...

Hi Edwin

I'm a new member to the Forum and have just found your 2006 'offer' having undertaken a search.... yes please, I would love a copy!

My grandfather served and died (on 30 November 1917) with the 96th Field Company RE and I have been, for the last few years, trying to establish anythign I can about him and the 96th. I take it you have accessed the (few) 'Storey' papers in the IWM?

What's your interest in the 96th?

Andrew

Andrew

No problems - please send your email address via the messaging facility. My grandfather served with the 96th for the period. He went over in 1914 with 7th Field Co. RE. No, I've not seem the Storey papers.... tell me more.

Regards

Edwin

Hi Edwin

I don't as yet have access to the messaging service..... this e-mail (I think) will get me one stage closer.... as soon as I am there I will forward it to you, unless I am reading the rules wrong!

Storey was C/O for the 96th and there are lodged with the IWM some of his letters home..... not many I'm afraid, and of course some are concerned with matters between husband and wife but there are some interesting asides regarding the war. It is some time since I was there transcribing them but I know that I have them in the 'archive' and can let you have copies of what I have if you wish.

When I first found the War Diary at Kew there was a fascinating short history of the unit at the end of the diary..... have you seen that? the last time I went to Kew, and wanted to look at it again, it was not there! (well at least I could not find it!) Mmmmmmmmm

As soon as I hit the magic number of postings I shall be in contact... I am sure it will be very soon

Thanks for getting in contact

Andrew

Hi Edwin

Another posting to get closer to the magic number!...... what was the rank your grandfather held in the 96th? (my Dad's Dad was a Driver) and where did he join up? and when? and do you have any photographs of the 96th? and.... and... and....

Andrew

Andrew keep 'em coming!

He would have been Lance Corporal at the time. He was a clerk, so I suppose he worked in the Company 'Office' handling all the bumf. When you think about all the paper work involved - stores, postings, promotions, pay, discipline, reports etc. you wonder how they ever managed to fight a war.

Frank Astill joined in 1913, and went to 7th Field Co. They missed out on Mons, but saw most of the retreat. After 96 Field Co. he went to the Cavalry Corps Bridge Park No. 24 in August 1917. I got all his army papers from the Army Personnal Centre

I have in mind to go to Chatham one day and check out what they have. Not been to Kew yet.

Congratulations on your first stripe.

Hi Edwin

I have sent you an e-mail with my e-mail address attached; thank you very much

I was very lucky with my grandfather in that he is one of those on the Surrey Recruiting Registers, so I was able to gain some significant detail from that valuable resource. Unfortunatly he was one of those whose personal papers were destroyed in WW2.

I have read much on the 96th... have visited the graves of virtually all those who died from the unit (and photographed them) and am currently trying to pull together an account of grandad's history with the 96th. It was visiting his grave, on behalf of my Dad who really never knew his Dad having left for the war when my Dad was but months old (foloow that?!), that got me interested in all this Great War stuff.

Did you read my posting # 4 regarding the history of the 96th in the War Diary?

Andrew