Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guardsman WH Naylor, Staffs

witzend

Hi forumers,

I have been looking into my grandfathers history. I have managed to find out a fair bit, and am still seeking the whereabouts of his records. Am awaiting a reply from the MOD Middx, having already tried Glasgow and Birdcage Walk. Perhaps some kind soul in here could help me along. Here's what I know:

William Henry Naylor, b17 Dec 1897.

Service Number: 2607897

Served during WW1, received the Mons Star (Infantry?)

Enlisted in Guards at Worcester, 30 July 1921

Think he trained at Pirbright

1930/3 based at Dunkeld, Perthshire

Ist Battallion, Pall bearer to King George V

Budbrook in 1939, served in India for 3 years

Demobbed 1943, Long Service award

The more I can find out, the more I will be able to follow his wartime trail.

Any help appreciated.

Lynn

Lynn

I saw your query from last week and still no replies. If I could ask you a few questions we might be able to get to the bottom of this man's WWI service at least.

What makes you think he won a Mons Star? This medal was only awarded to men in the BEF (regular soldiers) who served between August and November 1914 and he would seem to be incredibly young for such service. Teenage soldiers are much more likely to have been recruited as volunteers and many (including my Great Uncle) would have received a 1914-15 Star.

Do you have the medal in your possession? If so his service number and regiment will be incised round the edge. You have little chance of progress without at least knowing his regiment.

Do you have any photos of him in his WW1 uniform? Forumites are masters of conjuring a man's regiment from the smallest clues.

Where was he born/lived in the years leading up to 1914? In the early years of the war men frequently but not always joined their local regiment. I've just noticed that he's from my own county of Staffordshire any idea which town?

I looked on the Medal Index Card database at the national archives. There are 170 William Naylors, none of whom have the service number you quote. So as I said his regiment is vital.

I'm no expert on service numbers but I wondered if the number you quoted might be his post 1921 number from my limited experience it seems a little high for WW1.

Hope this gives some help

Look forward to your response.

Tony

What about

Medal card of Naylor, William H

Corps: South Staffordshire Regiment

Regiment No: 12718

As for Guards Service, his Number is a Grenadier Guards one. He would have trained at Caterham NOT Pirbright.

You say he was a pall bearer to George V, any news clipings, info about those men around? It may mention their war service. (?)

Hello both, and thank you for your interest.

Firstly, the query re the Mons Star set me thinking. It was something told to me by my grandmother, who it seems may have embellished the story somewhat. I asked mom about it and she tells me that she was sure it was not a star but a round medal, had an angel on it, and very beautiful. sadly it has disappeared.

Grampy was born in Wolverhampton and grew up around Dudley. I have been told that he could have joined the Worcester or South Staffs.

I have been looking into the pall bearer story. Windsor don't keep records of pall bearers, I do have a newspaper but it is in pretty poor condition, and he would only be recognisable to somebody who knew him. He did receive a medal or badge, but again, this is no longer around. Mom is adamant that the story is true, that he was one of the 'Kings Own' and incidentally he says the coffin was 'b---dy heavy'.

The only photo I have left is the one I posted into the gallery.

I am still hoping to hear something from the MOD, or am I being optimistic?

post-9683-1148458275.jpg

I asked mom about it and she tells me that she was sure it was not a star but a round medal, had an angel on it, and very beautiful. sadly it has disappeared

Victory Medal.

'He would have trained at Caterham NOT Pirbright'

I do remember an old photo which had written on the back 'Pirbright Camp'. My mom thinks he was there, could there be a possibilty that he was? Also, he was a 'colour sergeant'.

They did Basic Training at Caterham then onto Guards Training Battalion at Pirbright.

Sorry didn't know Pirbright was open then. Just been Googling it.

Also if that's him in your Avatar can you crop in on his medals?

They did Basic Training at Caterham then onto Guards Training Battalion at Pirbright.

Sorry didn't know Pirbright was open then. Just been Googling it.

Also if that's him in your Avatar can you crop in on his medals?

Here it is, don't know how good it will look when enlarged.

Lynn

post-12536-1148467810.jpg