Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Life in the Trenches

IanR

Hello

Can anyone recommend a book that covers the life of an average Tommy in the trenches. I am not looking for anything campaign specific, but on day-to-day activities, food, shelter, health, what they did away of the line, life in billets etc.

Any suggestions?

Ian

J.C. Dunn's 'The War the Infantry Knew' is outstanding.

Richard van Emden's 'The Trench', based on the TV series, gives some good insights into the day-to-day mundane aspects of trench life.

I'm sure you'll get many other suggestions as well.

Ian

It may be a bit 'officer-ish' but I'd recommend Charles Carrington's Soldier From the Wars Returning. Also, Tony Ashworth's Trench Warfare 1914-1918 - The Live and Let Live System is worthwhile.

Regards

Gareth

Ive just bought the newly released "12 Days on the Somme" on the reocmmendation of Chris Baker. It was written in the October or November of 1916 and I believe it covers the routiness of life in the Somme trenches at that time.

Harry's War - a good account of his service before being wounded.

Hi IanR - Greetings from IanA

How many would you like??

Here are four excellent accounts and all available in inexpensive paperback editions:

'There's a Devil in the Drum' by JF Lucy

'Old Soldiers Never Die' by Frank Richards

'Private 12768 Memoir of a Tommy' by John Jackson

'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' by George Coppard

As has already been said, there are many others!

Cheers,

Ian

Eye-deep in Hell - John Ellis - aims to cover exactly what you are asking about, and is very good too.

Alan

Hi IanR - Greetings from IanA

How many would you like??

Here are four excellent accounts and all available in inexpensive paperback editions:

'There's a Devil in the Drum' by JF Lucy

'Old Soldiers Never Die' by Frank Richards

'Private 12768 Memoir of a Tommy' by John Jackson

'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' by George Coppard

As has already been said, there are many others!

Cheers,

Ian

In my opinion there are not 'many others', certainly not of the calibre of Richards or Lucy, but two more for luck: 'Four Years on the Western Front' by 'a rifleman' [the transport section of a rifle battalion] and 'The Long Carry' by Frank Dunham : insight into stretcher bearers and medical.

Can't think how I forgot 'Four Years on the Western Front' - essential reading!

Ian

Some Desperate Glory by Edwin Campion Vaughan,

The 1/8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

A favorite of mine.....

War letters to a wife - Rowland Feilding. Brilliant collection, superb chapter notes, covers Coldstreams, 6th Con. Rangers and Civil Service Rifles in their last incarnation .. 1918.

Contains the famous quote about 'these London boys are brave in a way which would be counted uncommon elsewhere ..' or words very close to that effect.

One of the greatest journals of infantry life in the trenches ever IMHO. Old Rowland was an officer through and through .. but darn he covered some ground in his letters.

Get this.

Honest Des

If I recommended no other book on the Great War, I'd recommend "Her Privates We" by Manning.

• 1 month later...

The Weary Road by Charles Douie and Nothing of Importance by Bernard Adams to compliment some of the outstanding reads suggested by other members already

Rory