Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd battn Black Watch

2lewis's

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can assist me in this.

Were the 2nd Bttn Black Watch posted to Africa at any stage prior to the war?

Chap I am trying to chase Sgt Jack Lees may have been there?

Any assitance much appreciated

Mark

:) Hello,

The 2nd battalion served in South Africa during the Boer War 1899-1902. If you write to Thomas Smyth at RHQ The Black Watch, Balhousie Castle, Hay Street, Perth. He may be able to tell you when this chap enlisted.

I've got the QSA medal roll, I'll check there to see if he is on it. I also have a copy of the Black Watch Chronicl 1913. I will check this to see if there is any mention of him.

Regards,

Stewart

:) Hello,

There was a Pte. John Lees [No. 7686] in the 1st Battalion Black Watch, who served in South Africa during the Boer War. He was awarded the QSA with 4 Clasps [Orange Free State, Transvaal, SA'01, SA'02.] Do you think this could be your man?

Regards,

Stewart

Hello,

I think this must be him again. He is named in The Great War History of the Black Watch Vol 1. The entry relates to the battle of Loos.

''Of the NCO's who led platoons as ably and fearlessly when their officers had been disabled may be mentioned.......Sergeant Lees.'' [Vol 1 Page 194]

In January 1916 he is listed as being a Sergeant in No 2 Company, 6th Platoon. [Vol 1 page 205]

I never found any mention of him in the 1913 Chronicle.

All the best,

Stewart

Hello,

I think this must be him again. He is named in The Great War History of the Black Watch Vol 1. The entry relates to the battle of Loos.

''Of the NCO's who led platoons as ably and fearlessly when their officers had been disabled may be mentioned.......Sergeant Lees.'' [Vol 1 Page 194]

In January 1916 he is listed as being a Sergeant in No 2 Company, 6th Platoon. [Vol 1 page 205]

I never found any mention of him in the 1913 Chronicle.

All the best,

Stewart

Thanks to everyone.

To clarify as far as I am able he was a regular who had bought himself out posibly 2 years before the war. He reinlisted on the outbreak and seems to have servered with distinction until his death. I was wondering if he served in the BW previously.

That is certainly the chap at Loos, he wrote to my Great Grand Mother shortly after...a facinating letter.

PM me with your email address and i will mail you the letter if you are interested

Thanks to all

Mark

Hi all :) ,

Mark, just in case that it isn't your man; there was a Sgt Lees in the 2nd Bn.

After Loos, the 2nd Bn went out to the Middle East. Here is the entry form the SNWM for Sgt John Lees of the 2nd Bn:

Surname LEES

Firstname John

Service Number S/3342

Date Death 14/03/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Barony Lanarkshire

Other 2nd Bn.

SNWM roll THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS)

Rank Sgt

Theatre of death Persian Gulf.

& CWGC

Name: LEES, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 14/03/1917

Service No: S/3342

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 25 and 63.

Memorial: BASRA MEMORIAL

Hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC