Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn East Surrey Regiment

Paul Reed

I remember that one of our members is interested in the 9th East Surreys, but can't think who. Whoever you are, thought you would like to see this photo of B Company in 1919!

post-2-1065381180.jpg

No worries - will email it to you tomorrow morning. Pity it didn't have all the names on, eh? Some decorated soldiers on there, though - and note the Bandsman with all the wound stripes on the right.

Paul,

I was also interested in the 9th East Surreys as my uncle Edward Ernest Hooper was in D company of the Battalion and was KIA at Guillemont on 16 August 1916. I was intrigued by your comment about the bandsman as in another posting I asked what a field band was. The term 'field band' arises in a letter written at the time of my uncle being posted missing in action. Someone suggested that this could have been a reference to bandsman being used as stretched bearers. Any thoughts on this one? How many bandsmen would a battalion have?

Could you e mail me a copy as well?

Many thanks,

Ray Hooper

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Paul,

V, Many thanks for that. See what you mean about the wounded stripes! It looks like 3 to me!

I know one of my great-uncles was in D Coy in 1918, but you never know, he might have moved about after then. Anyway it does not look as if he is in the picture, but I will make a more detailed study at the weekend.

All the best - Ian

• 2 years later...
Guest Lillywhite
Paul,

I was also interested in the 9th East Surreys as my uncle Edward Ernest Hooper was in D company of the Battalion and was KIA at Guillemont on 16 August 1916. I was intrigued by your comment about the bandsman as in another posting I asked what a field band was. The term 'field band' arises in a letter written at the time of my uncle being posted missing in action. Someone suggested that this could have been a reference to bandsman being used as stretched bearers. Any thoughts on this one? How many bandsmen would a battalion have?

Could you e mail me a copy as well?

Many thanks,

Ray Hooper

Guest Lillywhite

I see that your uncle was KIA 16/08/16. My father was seriously wounded on 26/08/16 and a young officer G. C. Rivers was KIA same explosion. Have you any idea of the exact location of the Bn at that time ? This forum is certainly producing some very interesting data.

From the regimental history:

"On the 18th August the Battalion was ordered up to the Briqueterie, near Montauban, in support of the 73rd Infantry Brigade, who, together with the 17th Brigade, attacked and captured the western outskirts of Guillemont. On the 21st the Battalion, together with the 8th Battn. the "Queen's", moved up in the new front line, the "Queen's" occupying the trench just west of the quarry in Guillemont, whilst the Battalion held the trenches in the rear of the "Queens'". Violent shelling on the part of the enemy during the day led to the following casualties: - Killed: 2nd Lieut. C.C.Rivers and 3 men. Wounded: Captain C.Hilton, 2nd Lieuts. C.Lillywhite and A.A.Matthews and 8 men."

Appartantly there is a mistake in the initials of 2nd Lt.Rivers, who I believe was "George Claude RIVERS". born Surbiton SURREY around 1887, aged abt 29 at the time of his death.

Guest Lillywhite

QUOTE (Chris_B @ Jul 6 2006, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From the regimental history:

"On the 18th August the Battalion was ordered up to the Briqueterie, near Montauban, in support of the 73rd Infantry Brigade, who, together with the 17th Brigade, attacked and captured the western outskirts of Guillemont. On the 21st the Battalion, together with the 8th Battn. the "Queen's", moved up in the new front line, the "Queen's" occupying the trench just west of the quarry in Guillemont, whilst the Battalion held the trenches in the rear of the "Queens'". Violent shelling on the part of the enemy during the day led to the following casualties: - Killed: 2nd Lieut. C.C.Rivers and 3 men. Wounded: Captain C.Hilton, 2nd Lieuts. C.Lillywhite and A.A.Matthews and 8 men."

Appartantly there is a mistake in the initials of 2nd Lt.Rivers, who I believe was "George Claude RIVERS". born Surbiton SURREY around 1887, aged abt 29 at the time of his death.

Guest Lillywhite

This information is just what I wanted. The Regimental History does indeed seem to have errors in initials. It was indeed G. C. Rivers, but the C. C. may have been something to do with his being known as "Charlie" as evidenced in a private letter I once saw. In the case of Lillywhite the initial was "G".

• 1 year later...
Ray,

I have a photo of a section of D Coy - will post it when I get back to the UK.

Ian

Ray,

I have a photo of a section of D Coy - will post it when I get back to the UK.

Ian