Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MGC demob

david murdoch

See attached image - It is the counterfoil from my grandfather's last payment on demob - I am trying to find out what this sum represents. I presume the troops out in Mesopotamia were payed there. From what I can gather he shipped back from Mesopotamia at the end of December 1919 via Malta and arrived back in UK in Jan/Feb 1920. So maybe this covers the transit period? For reasons unknown, he had to go all the way up to Fort George (Inverness) to actually be demobbed (and nearly died of the cold!) Can anyone identify the Paymaster - looks like Baldwin - and is R.D.C the Royal Defense Corps sharing pay office with the M.G.C?

David.

post-446-1148343056.jpg

According to Frank Seeley, quoted in Frank Wintringham's Book 'With the Lincolnshire Yeomanry in Egypt and Palestine 1914-1918':

"During service the Powers that Were held back a proportion of our pay (in case we lost our button-sticks or something) and my Demobilisation Account dated 27th February 1919 was made up as follows:-

Back Pay Due 8 17 10

28 days furlough @ 2/- 2 16 0

28 days ration allowance @ 2/1 2 18 4

For civilian clothes 2 12 6

Gratuity 21 10 0

Total £38 14 8

Not exactly generous after nearly four years' service, buut what a wealth of memories"

I would guess your Grandfather's account is for something similar.

Regards,

Neil

The furlough pay quoted is 2/- per day.

Would this have been the same as his normal everday pay?

Best wishes

David