Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

need help interpreting Medal Card for great uncle

Guest blithe

Guest blithe

Hello...

I obtained the Medal Card for my great uncle John H.G. Tatton who was a Bombardier in the Royal Field Artillery.

Here are the details of the information on the card:

Name: Tatton, John H.G. Corps: R.F.A. Rank: Bmbr. Regiment#: 345

Medal: Roll: Page:

Victory RFA/152 B 10520

TF

British do do

T.F. WAR, RFA. TFM.6 *130

SWB List RA/ 3946

There is no information under the Theater of War, or Date of Entry fields.

The most intriguing of the medals, and one I cannot find information on is the T.F. WAR - what does that mean? Does the number 6 refer to Asian service?

How would I research his service history more closely? Any suggestions?

My sincerest thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

Cheers,

Gary Tatton (USA)

TFWM= Territorial Force War Medal

Awarded to TF Men & Nurses who were members of/or rejoined the TF Before September 1914 & had volunteered for Overseas Service But didnt subsequently serve in Theatres were the 1914 or 1914~15 Star was earned.{or post 1915}

The SWB List refers to the Silver War Badge for those discharged,this Roll can be obtained from the NA & will give a fair bit of extra information,such as enlistment & discharge dates,age,Unit discharged from,Cause of discharge & if served O/S {which he obviously did}As you are in the USA you will have to use the services of a Researcher {or a kind hearted Forum Member who is going to the NA}

The TFWM Code is the Roll Page reference,again these are held @ the NA,as are the BWM/Victory Rolls{which the other references refer to}.

His later number:865059 will be able to identify his TF RFA Brigade.& which area it was based.

Unfortunately no Theatre or date of embarkation was usually entered on Other Ranks Cards after the 1914~15 Star,

His six digit number indicates that he was part of 218 BDE, RFA Territorial Force 1/3 Wessex Bde.

Guest blithe
His six digit number indicates that he was part of 218 BDE, RFA Territorial Force 1/3 Wessex Bde.

Gentlemen...

I really appreciate the help.

Paul - A naive question perhaps, but does 'BDE' stand for Brigade? Also, when you say '1/3 Wessex

Bde', is that a specific unit designation, or does it mean it could be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Wessex?

From what I can so far determine, service in India looks extremely likely. Where would be the best place to get information on 218 BDE, 1/3 Wessex Bde.?

Many thanks,

Gary

Gary

BDE does indeed stand for Brigade.

218 Brigade RFA was part of the Territorial 43rd (Wessex) Division which did indeed go to India to free up regular troops for active service, a link to the LLT mothersite order of battle for the Division is Here

However, I also think your Great Uncle served elsewhere as he would appear to have been awarded both the British War and Victory Medals. Service in India alone would only have entitled him to the BWM.

The SWB Medal Roll would be a good place to start to see what unit he was discharged from but as suggested in an earlier response you will need to get a researcher (or kind hearted forum member) to have a look for you.

Hope this helps.

Steve

when you say '1/3 Wessex

Bde', is that a specific unit designation, or does it mean it could be the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Wessex?

With TF Units{unlike Regular ones} a Battery/Brigade/Battalion would not immediately be divided ino 1;2 & 3 Battalion etc but rather subdivided thus 1/3 would mean in effect the 1st 3rd Bde;{meaning there would also be 2/3 & possibly 3/3 & similarly 1/2nd & 1/1st etc,Complicated I know but you get used to it!

Guest blithe

Hello gents...

Steve - thanks much, the link was helpful

Harry - Yes, it is bloody complicated, but I imagine the deeper I go, the easier it gets.

I do appreciate the help - this is a great forum.

Many thanks,

Gary