Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No luck tracing Albert Rundle despite good information

Guest Mike Rundle

Guest Mike Rundle

I have my grandfather's full name : Albert John Rundle, his number (as given) 269992, his date of enlistment 26/09/14 and his date of discharge 12/12/17 (invalided out). I know he served with the Royal Artillery but I still can't find a trace of him in the Medal cards section. Closest is an Albert J Rundle in the RE but the dates don't tally.

Is there anywhere else I can search ? I have some information that he was invited to attend a regimental reunion of the 74th Northumbrian FR in 1951. He was from South Shields in Co. Durham (born November 1885) and would have enlisted locally but can't find him in the Medal Records and sources on the net seem a bit scarce. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Description

Medal card of Rundle, Albert

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 894 Gunner

Labour Corps 269992 Gunner

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/17links to the Catalogue

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Ridley C - Shacklady T

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Number of image files: 1

He was RA then Labour Corps.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=3

Aye

Malcolm

Guest Mike Rundle

Hi Malcolm,

I can't see how I missed him when I did my searches. Must have been a complete blind spot ! Still - as many have pointed out, the RFA weren't always accurate either ! Thanks

Mike

Guest Mike Rundle

Hello Malcolm,

Thanks again for the above. Regarding my wife's grandad and great uncle, what are my chances of tracing their movements back to see how they moved between regiments from enlistment to final service ? Starting with young Robert Macadam who moved from Black Watch (presumably) in 1914 to the Ldn Scottish in 1917 - where would I go to search the records of his journey as there was no family connection at the time with London ? Similarly his brother - who ended up with tanks !

I suppose the same is true of my Grandad - Albetrt Rundle. Signed up with the RA in 14 , ended up in Labour Corps in 17 but what I would like to know is where he went in the meantime, where he was injured etc - surely records of wounded men must have existed - Clearing Stations, hospital records etc. ? Or are they all long gone ?

Regards

Mike

The London Scottish were heavily reinforced with drafts from other units from time to time; it is quite possible that this is why your uncle left the Black Watch. Alternatively, he could have been a casualty, who was later posted to the Scottish when he regained his fitness; possibly because the Scottish had a need of more men that the Black Watch.

Do you know when he chnaged cap-badges?

Stephen

Guest Mike Rundle

[

Do you know when he chnaged cap-badges?

Regrettably no.

My wife's grandfather never talked about his experiences or his brother (there was a third as well - Cecil Macadam but no records seem to exist of him) so no information is available. My mother-in-law didn't enquire and my father-in-law had some particularly nasty experiences in Korea so he never encouraged any research in war related subjects. (I have to say after his weekend I think this will change - I urged him to write down what he had been through if only just for himself and to leave this as a record for future generations who may want to research him !).

Mike