Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Royal Rifle Corps 2nd. Batt.

isadore

I am researching a soldier from this Battalion - His medal card says he arrived France 26 - 1 - 1915

I thought the Batt. embarked earlier but am not an expert so looking for confirmation

Many Thanks

Isadore

2/KRRC first arrived at Le Havre in the early hours of 13th August 1914.

dave.

Would it be possible that he had been in the reserves and was called up at the outbreak of war?

Would that explain his "late" arrival?

Isadore

Sergeant Bradlaugh Sanderson, Far Cliff, Holmfirth, 2nd Battalion, King’s Royal Rifle Corps, was a reservist and he was recalled immediately the war broke out, he kept a diary of events from his recall to November 1914 when he was wounded.

It seems they were very well organised for the rapid mobilisation of reservists.

Link to the Sergeant's Diary.

Tony.

Thanks for that interesting link Tony. I didn't think the reserves had mobilised so fast.

Isadore

Sorry to bother everyone but my Gt Uncle Clarence 7th batt KRRC died Jan 1916 buried at Colne Valley north of Ypres.

cannot find out what was going on at the time, there was no battle as far as I can tell was it just an exchange of shells. The cemetery has a number of the Duke of Wellingtons regiment there as well. Also as a brummie i would have thought he would have joined Warwickshires. Why KRRC

Thanks for that interesting link Tony. I didn't think the reserves had mobilised so fast.

Isadore