Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal card help please

Guest shepherdgirl

Guest shepherdgirl

Can anyone help me with this please.

Downloaded a medal card, relating I think to my Grandfather, A J Cutmore, but I am afraid it doesn’t mean much to me !!!!

It reads as follows:

CORPS RANK REGTL NO

ASC PTE R4/072765

MEDAL ROLL PAGE

VICTORY RASC/101B49 4953

BRITISH ------“--------- ---“---

REMARKS 5/8/U5

-----------------

All I know is that he sent my Mum postcards with Jerusalem pictures on the front and I believe rode or helped with horses. He was a Blacksmith and Farrier before the war, although he was only about 18 when my Mum was born in 1913. Apparently he also suffered from Malaria at some point during his service. No idea how long he served, but he did survive the war although I believe his Brother or Brother in Law was killed in action.

He lived in Dagenham/Rainham Essex areas, but I don’t know if he was in an Essex or London Regiment.

Any help or suggestions on how I can find out more, would be much appreciated.

With Many Thanks

Shepherdgirl

Hello Shepherdgirl{dont they call 'em Shepherdesses any more?}

This card relates to a member of the Army Service Corps Remounts* Dept;{hence "R" Prefix to Army Number R4/072765},His rank was Private,& the References refer to the Medal Roll Pages the BWM & Victory Medals were issued from.

The date in remarks{5/8/U?5}probably refers to some Medal Office enquiry,or correspondence @ that time

*Remounts = Concerned with recouperation & retraining of Horses previously sick, injured or wounded

Guest shepherdgirl

Thank you so much for your help - the "remounts" would certainly tie in with him working with Horses !

Any ideas how I can find out more?

You could try the NA in case his Service "Papers" survive{only a small %age do but its worth checking}