Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW Look-Up Please

Sparky

Is there a kind soul out there who would be willing to provide me with the SDGW information for John Saunders of the Army Service Corps.

The village war memorial lists a Private John Frederick Saunders of the A.S.C. I have examined the CWGC website and there seem to be two possible "candidates" (one under the name of John and the other with the initial J) , but unfortunately the information there does not allow me to narrow the search any further.

I'm hoping that the information held in SDGW may allow me identify the man listed on the Memorial in one way or another.

Thanks

Mark

Mark

The two John Saunders in SDGW are as follows:

CM T 2599

Born and resided Camberwell

Enlisted Woolwich

Died Home 1.2.15

T3/78632

Born, enlisted, resided Basingstoke

KIA France and Flanders 19.10.17

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry,

It seeming more likelythat John Saunders (whichever one it may be) has a rather tenuous link to the village - Will have to try another plan of attack on this one!

Cheers

Mark

Might I suggest that you check the local papers (if you have not already done so) around both dates of death - sometimes the most unusal links are revealed

Stephen

Mark have you also looked up without the middle initial, this gives a few more possiblities. Gareth

Stephen & Gareth,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Have already been looking through the local newspapers for some of the other men shown on the Memorial, so will also be factoring in the dates for the two possibles in future visits. I'm intending to search throughout the war period and afterwards anyway, as there appear to be all sorts of little gems hidden away where you wouldn't expect to find them.

In terms of searching the CWGC database there are three J Saunders who were killed whilst serving with the ASC - one I could discount due to name and rank, which left the other two. Unfortunately their next of kin live nowhere near Suffolk, which left me with the quandry.

I suspect that the link with the village is something like parents moved there after 1901, or the in-laws live there - something like that.

Still, I think I've been quite lucky overall - I've only really been doing this seriously for a couple of months, and out of the 65 men listed on the war memorial as giving their lives, John Saunders is the only one I cannot pinpoint.

Thanks again.

Mark

Guest burnsey
Mark

The two John Saunders in SDGW are as follows:

CM T 2599

Born and resided Camberwell

Enlisted Woolwich

Died Home 1.2.15

T3/78632

Born, enlisted, resided Basingstoke

KIA France and Flanders 19.10.17

Terry Reeves

Hi Terry

There is a Frederick John on the soldiers died

Pte Frederick John no:S3/027881

Born Hilborough

Enlisted Ipswich

resided in Ilford

Died 14/5/15

Egypt

Hope this is the guy

burnsey

Burnsey,

Thanks for this - it certainly seems a promising prospect.

Kind Regards

Mark