Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V77 german destroyer

Regulus 1

Hi,

A number of personnel from this destroyer is burried at Vladslo German Military Cemetary. They died 2/3 January 1918. Any ideas on what happened ? Bombing, naval operation ?

I couldn't find anything serious on the matter and this forum is my last hope...

Thanks and best from Johan

Hello Johann,

I did a quick look and only found that this ship was scuttled on 2.11.1918 at the Terneuzen Canal on the evacuation of Belgium. I have not come across any other activity at present.

Could it be possible these men were transferred to the Marine Infantry and killed fighting on land? I do not recall the German navy being overly active at this period in time. If I come across anything else I will post it here.

Ralph

V77 built by Vulkan Stettin 1914

launched 28.02.1916,

commissioned 18.05.1916 ,

scuttled in Belgium on 02.11.1918.

no further info

Hi Ralph and Egbert,

Thanks for reacting ! I have rather good info on the naval activities of the Marinekorps Flandern, but have a hole in my information for early 1918. For most of the year and the time before I know of about every damage inflicted to a ship, with some minor exceptions...

These unit's operating from Flanders were far more active then one dares to suspect, (unlike the rest of the Kaiserliche Marine which was anchored in harbours) so they were most certainly not transferred to infantry or artillery on land.

However this can have been about everything. Bombing from the air, a collission, action at sea, accident on board...

I rather have some doubts about action at sea to be honest, certainly that early in the year...

So any ideas or hints are most welcome !

Best from Johan

Now what a coincidence ! :) I mailed earlier today some comments with two photo's on the book of the torpedoboats. And yesterday evening I did become a member of the discussion group !

Indeed very interesting material ! The Zeebrugge photobook I have myself, but not as an original.

Nothing more on V 77 , but I thought you might be interested in this

Great photos. Thanks for posting the link Egbert.

Indeed great photos...

Well, I posted comment on the Zeppelin photos.

First one goes about the L 12 being towed to Ostend harbour, where it by dismantling on the docks got in fire!

I have the identical photo , and apparently it was extracted from such original Zeebrugge Museum album, seen all the gum at rear side!

Another I have is the normal postcard , for mailing...There has been from this L 12 a least a half dozen of different photos! The photographer (I thought at the time he made himself these shots!) which developed and printed them was Arthur Brusselle from Bruges. Must have been making on these albums and printed a lot of these photopostcards for selling!

The one at Stavanger (Norway) was the marine airship L 20... ran out of fuel and her captain let it strand at sea close to the Norway coast...tyhe crew was interned at Norway.

The "unnamed ship" was probably the British steamship (Cargo, 3.000 t.) which was torpedoed on 14th June 1917 ? From two others the name was known, from one isn't the name mentioned...perhaps because the U-boat crew had no name themselves? It was torpedoed near a place at sea which is on a map indicated as "Shipwash"...

vbr

Jempie.