Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery surrounding my Grandad

Guest Sandie V

Guest Sandie V

Here is a tricky one!!

My grandad said that he fought in WW1, but enlisted using a false name because he was underage....well while researching the family tree on my dad's side, I sent for my Grandad's marriage certificate, well this confirmed that he would'nt have been underage to enlist ;) Now his real name was Alec Kleiff, but after he died we found that he'd been using another name of Alec Pitt. We have no proof that he even fought in the war, and would love to find out the truth. He is from a jewish background and I wondered whether that might have been the reason that he used a false name.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this, and is there anyway I can find out the truth??

Thanks

Sandie

Sandie

Firstly - are you 100% sure that the age grandad listed on his marriage certificate was his actual age?

Hi Sandie,

Did he use the name Pitt to enlist, or are you saying he got married with this name? A rather obvious reason for enlisting under a false name is that Kleiff could be taken for a German surname and he might have changed it to avoid any teasing or agravation.

Cheers,

Ian

The National archives lists 1 Emmanuel Klieff M287098 IN ASC.

Thats spelt ie not ei! no listings for ei.

Ady

Guest Sandie V

Thanks for your replys...to answer you all:-

1. His age is correct on his marriage certificate

2. I believe he used the name Pitt to enlist.

3. Emmanuel Kleiff was his cousin.

I did think that he probably used the name Pitt rather than Kleiff to save on the aggro!! This one has been a big head scratcher for me!!

Hi Sandie,

I just checked the National Archives index and there are no Alec Pitts and only three Alexander Pitts - Alexander J Pitt South Staffordshire; Alexander Bedfordshire and Alexander Liverpool. Does Alec fit in with any of these geographical areas?

Ian

Guest Sandie V

Bedfordshire I think, he was born and lived in the East End of London until his very old age. He used the name Alexander on his marriage certificate although he was registered as Alec at birth.

Well, Sandie, I would think that you have starting point. Private Alexander Pitt of the Bedfordshire Regiment had the regimental number 19763. You should try looking for his details in the PRO at Kew. If his details have survived they might supply you will age, address, next of kin, etc.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Sandie,

The Bedfordshire regiment Alexander Pitt, is actually shown on CWGC site as died on 23/10/1915, so I assume this isn't your man.

Cheers

Angela

Guest Sandie V

Thanks to both of you for your time, so I guess he's not my man. My grandad died of old age, aged 90 in 1984. Maybe the whole thing was a story, or maybe he used a completely different name, one that we know nothing about? It's so confusing!

Deary deary me!

Site wont allow me to say what I really meant to say!!

Ian