Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

i just got a shock

jamesbow

hi all,

today i have been to local library for info on my father or his three brothers in the great war.you can imagine my shock and surprise at what i found,there were letters printed in the biggleswade chronicle from my father.

there are some things i or my brothers had never heard him speak of,i am still in shock at reading these.have attached one(hopefully) this is the action i have just found out that 6 v.c.s were won before breakfast!.

all the best jamesbow.

Result! Glad you're making some progress in your research.

Regards,

Neil.

Son of the man who cut the holes in the side of Clyde! Forum aristocracy! Congratulations on your find. Phil B

Great find!

You see what I mean about stokers not being confined to shovelling coal! Cutting holes in the River Clyde, now where would that go on a service register?!

Great find!

You see what I mean about stokers not being confined to shovelling coal! Cutting holes in the River Clyde, now where would that go on a service register?!

typical of my father cutting the holes in the wrong place,below waterline she sunk@.seriousley what a horrific landing,just been researching it and a holiday it was'nt,perhaps thats why my father never mentioned it?.all the best jamesbow.ps i have some more clips?

Fantastic find - I can fully appreciate your elation.

Just a couple of things that will hopefully add to your interest in the Gallipoli campaign and your personal family involvement - River Clyde was at V Beach and the Lancashire Fusiliers landed at W Beach.

I think your father worked on the River Clyde prior to 25 April landings but it sounds from his references to the Australians and NZs that he was on another ship (HMS Bacchante?) on 25 April.

I did have a quick look through several books I have on Gallipoli but couldnt find where HMS Bacchante operated on 25 April, but assume from the article that if she was your father's ship then she was up in the Gaba Tepe/ANZAC region, supporting the ANZAC landings (the British landed to the south at Helles (V/W/X/Y beaches).

Perhaps someone else on the Forum can add something more definite when reading into your father's letter.

Fantastic find - I can fully appreciate your elation.

Just a couple of things that will hopefully add to your interest in the Gallipoli campaign and your personal family involvement - River Clyde was at V Beach and the Lancashire Fusiliers landed at W Beach.

I think your father worked on the River Clyde prior to 25 April landings but it sounds from his references to the Australians and NZs that he was on another ship (HMS Bacchante?) on 25 April.

I did have a quick look through several books I have on Gallipoli but couldnt find where HMS Bacchante operated on 25 April, but assume from the article that if she was your father's ship then she was up in the Gaba Tepe/ANZAC region, supporting the ANZAC landings (the British landed to the south at Helles (V/W/X/Y beaches).

Perhaps someone else on the Forum can add something more definite when reading into your father's letter.

johnathan,yes bacchante was his ship,it was the only one he really talked about.he told me as a child that they had a monkey as a mascot and it got so frightened by the turkish shelling it ran in a panic, climbed the funnel and fell down it,he said the men afterwards were very wary/quite

regards jamesbow

Guest gumbirsingpun

if my memory serves me correctly,bacchante took part in the landing at anzac cove

the ship approached close in ta shore and fired directly on the gun emplacements in an attempt to silence them

heres a pic of the cruise taken in 1915

Which one is James` dad? I suppose he`ll be looking out of the bottom row of portholes? :P Phil B

Which one is James` dad? I suppose he`ll be looking out of the bottom row of portholes? :P Phil B

no he would be the one pinching the rum :P he did like a drop,every night until his death at the age of 93 :rolleyes:

regards jamesbow

Actually, Kim, he probably saw very little if he was stoking and the ship was some distance out when shelling. One assumes that the cutting out of the doors in the Clyde took place elsewhere, Mudros perhaps? Phil B