Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Battalion, Royal warwicks

pilgrim

Can any one shed light on the Movements of the 8th Battalion, Royal Warwicks from 1914 to 1916?

Looking to add details and background to Arthur Hodson who served in this Battalion from 1914. Believe discharged 1916 through sickness.

can any one help?

Thanx

Ray

Ray, Peter Caddick-Adams' book "By God they can fight" is worth a look. Published in 1995, it is a history of the 143rd (Warwickshire) Bde of the 48th Division.

Also, the 2/8th Battalion (not sure if this is relevant to your search) produced a history - "Black Square memories" in 1924; sadly, there's no index, so i couldn't find your man!

Ray

I too, am very interested in researching the 1/8 Royal Warwicks. I have looked on my list of RWR casualties whose names were listed in the B'ham Daily Post Casualty rolls and only one A Hodson is listed and he went missing in 1914 and was later reported a POW. SO.. he's not your man because the 1/8 RWR did not go to France until March 1915.

There is an Arthur Hodson on the medal card index service number 3469, but you would have to pay £3.50 to see it. Is this the Hodson you are after?

If he was discharged in 1916 through sickness he may have never served in France. If he did then I can give you their movements. (He would have been entitled to a 1915 Star on his medal card)

Regards

Terry

Medal Index Card for Hodson

I agree with you Steve. Excellent book.

However it only covers the 1/8th RWR during 1917 period when the battalion was at Passchendaele.

Regards

Terry