Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

for john hartley

bernardmcilwaine

pte john alexandra graham,7th manchesters,twine piecer at the carrington mill,his family originated from scotland he was part of a 11 man ration party bringing up rations when a heavy shell landed amongst them,killing 5 and wounding 7,they buried what they could find and hes now in redoubt cemetary,gallipoli,the others killed with him were 1212 j.cox,1196 george hodgins,1331 arthur kenyon and 1311 lawrence wilson,there are special memorials to ptes graham+hodgins,another stockport soldier who was killed at the same time was pte walter brooks 2257,he was cooking grub when he was killed by a shrapnel shell,he enlisted in aug 1914,played lacrosse for stockport lacrosse club,he was part of the 7th batts camel section in egypt,lived at 45 reed rd,stockport,bernard

ps i bloody well hope these two are on your memorial john,my typing fingers aching :lol::lol:

Bernard

Both of them on the main memorial at the Art Gallery. Ta very much - all contributions greatly accepted.

BTW, my notes indicate Pte Graham was known as Alexander rather than John. I bet his father was called John.

Many from the Lacrosse Club were 6th & 7th Mancs, rather than the local 6th Cheshires.

John

spot on john,i have found quite a few from the lacrosse clubs in stockport,the heatons and cheadle,bernard