Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My newest W.I.P.

Russell Smith

Here is a preview of a W.I.P. These are the first couple of steps in the creation of a painting - the perspective drawing and the value study. The setting will be the airfield at Vert Galand.

First, the perspective drawing:

post-11267-1148064718.jpg

and the value study:

post-11267-1148064770.jpg

Russ

Russell

I know nothing about planes but your artwork is stunning.

Thanks gents. I'll keep everyone here posted as this one progresses over the next few months. I've still got a long way to go on it.

Russ

Russell

Love the pictures but would you please explain, to a complete nincompoop, the meaning of the terms 'perspective' and 'value' as used in this context.

Garth

Absolutely brilliant - I really like the value study, it will be interesting to see the finished article- no offence- but I can't see it being as good as the b/w value study- my personal opinion.

Russell

Love the pictures but would you please explain, to a complete nincompoop, the meaning of the terms 'perspective' and 'value' as used in this context.

Garth

Using perspective is to draw using a vanishing point in the distance with respect to the viewer which makes an object look right by diminishing the dimensions of an object as it recedes into the background. The simplest to consider is perhaps that of standing within the rails of a railway track where the rails eventually appear to meet at a point in the distance. That point would be the vanishing point. The vanishing point can be moved away from the centre of a picture along one or more axes.

Now with 'value study' I am as curious as you for an explanation.

Super artwork though. Without wishing to be presumptuous, I can think of at least one author who habituates this forum who may be PMing you WRT to a commision.

Using perspective is to draw using a vanishing point in the distance with respect to the viewer which makes an object look right by diminishing the dimensions of an object as it recedes into the background. The simplest to consider is perhaps that of standing within the rails of a railway track where the rails eventually appear to meet at a point in the distance. That point would be the vanishing point. The vanishing point can be moved away from the centre of a picture along one or more axes.

Now with 'value study' I am as curious as you for an explanation.

Super artwork though. Without wishing to be presumptuous, I can think of at least one author who habituates this forum who may be PMing you WRT to a commision.

Yep. That about sums it up in terms of perspective. Its basically a matter of making the aircraft look proportianlly correct from a specified point in space - in this case I believe i had my viewpoint set up to be something like 45 feet from an actual DH2, and a low eye level even with the axel.

As far as the value study, its basically a b/w version of what the painted aircraft should look like. Working out the values in the drawing helps me to figure out how the shadows will fall across the aircraft, where the brightest highlights will be, where the darkest shadows will be and where everything else in between will be.

Thanks again everyone for the compliments.

russ

Russell I love your work.

Annette

As far as the value study, its basically a b/w version of what the painted aircraft should look like. Working out the values in the drawing helps me to figure out how the shadows will fall across the aircraft, where the brightest highlights will be, where the darkest shadows will be and where everything else in between will be.

Thanks for that.

One of the seminars I attend occasionally in Portsmouth dockyard was on maritime art and Geoff Hunt was one of the four speakers. For those who don't know, Geoff Hunt is the artist who produced the illustrations for the covers of the Patrick O'Brian series of Aubrey/Maturin novels and many other maritime book covers.

It was fascinating to hear him relate on the lengths he goes to to ensure that all shadows fall correctly across the sails and hulls of ships in his pictures, a very complex matter. It was clear why his work is so admired and so much used.

Russell and PP

Thanks both for your replies. I'm not certain that I fully understand the concept of values but that's us knuckle dragging scientists for you. Talk about Deoxyribonucleic acid and genetic mapping and I can usually follow the conversation; but art is definitely not my forte.

Give me a good book anytime.

Garth

Russell , thanks for taking the time to share this with us. A pleasure to study your artwork,you have a rare talent.

Roland.