Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN NAVY Museum

Kath

Kath;

Very interesting. I have been to Istrija many times, and it is a great area to visit touristically; lovely, friendly, relatively inexpensive. I have generally stayed at Rovinj, a town a bit further down the coast, which was the major naval port of the Venetian Empire. I took my first wife there on vacation during the worst of the Jugoslav civil war, and we had a great time. A lot of the people are ethnic Italians and were not that involved in that bit of insanity.

If there is interest I could give some more organized travel trips. This is not impossibly far from another new museum in Slovenija largely focused on the fighting between the k. u. k. and the Italians, in the town previously known as Caparetto, now as Kobarid, which I drove thru about 10 times before I figured out that it was Caparetto. I was interested especially as I thought that my father was at the (big) Battle of the Ionzo, but it turned out that he was in hospital in France at that time when an old wound went bad again.

Also, nearer, is the original stud farm of the Lippizaner horses, not surprisingly in the Slovene village of Lipica, going back hundreds of years.

Bob Lembke