Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

where to begin?

Guest smallthings

Guest smallthings

Hello there

I know very little about my grandparents' involvement in the Great War. Family lore has it that my maternal grandfather joined the Navy when he was underage and served throughout the War. How I wish now that I'd been more interested in his past! He was London born (1894-6) and bred. He married in 1919 to Charlotte Rebecca LOCK, also from London. They had two children, Charlotte Rebecca and William Alfred.

How do I begin to look for his service records, if they exist?

Any help gratefully received!

Jan

If he had joined he Royal Navy his papers should be Online @ the National Archive Site where they can be downloaded for £3.50;see the Long Long Trail section @ the head of this Site for How to research Grandad's War

I couldn’t find a match for WAH Seton, the closest I found was WH Seaton. Click here to search the seaman's registers. He could also have joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve or the Merchant Navy, their records are not online.

Under age for the navy was 14! Boys could join at 15 and be at sea at 16. The youngest naval winner of the Victoria Cross in WW1 was 16 when he died 90 years ago this month.