Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallantry Awards.

John84

I am sure I have read somewhere that to receive a gallantry award, the act for which the award was won had to be witnessed by a officer, I have found lots of reports of acts of heroism in local papers, and yet many it seems got no official recognition, i.e. medals, for these acts of gallantry. I know many men were recommended for gallantry awards, but did not receive them. As ever all answers gratefully received.

John.

Hello

Im pretty sure an officer has to witness a VC action but not sure about others - one reason I believe Lawrence of Arabia didnt get one - and also perhaps why recent SAS/SBS dont (that we know of :ph34r: ) either (or do they take officers with them always ?)

Ian

Awards of the Victoria Cross had to satisfy the following condition:

from the VC rules & ordinances:~

Eighthly:"It is ordained where such act shall not have been performed in sight of a commanding Officer as foresaid,then the claimant for the honour shall prove the act to the satisfaction of the captain or officer commanding his ship,or to the officer commanding the regiment to which the claimant belongs,and such captain or such commanding officer shall report the same through the usual channel to the Admiral or Commodore commanding the force employed on the service.or to the officer commanding the forces in the field,who shall call for such description and attestation of the act as he may think requisite and on approval shall recommend the grant of the decoration."

So in effect as clear as Mud!

The leaflet on the circumstances in which gallantry awards could be recommended, published by the Military Secretaries Office in 1918, states that gallantry awards should not be recommended for officers and soldiers rescuing wounded under fire unless they were regimental stretcher bearers or RAMC personnel whose duty it is to deal with them.

The reason given was to save needless casualties and discourage people actively seeking awards.

Obviously not applied in every circumstance judging by some of the awards made.

Thanks Pals

I wonder if the same criteria applied for the D.C.M. M.M. etc as did for the VC....the deed to been witnessed by a officer.

At least two lads from the 8th D.L.I. performed gallant acts on the 25th April, 1915 at 2nd Ypres. Private, James Morrison was awarded the D.C.M. his citation reads

For gallant conduct and resource near Ypres on 25th April, 1915, when the parapet of the trench had been blown in and all the Officers and Non-Commissioned Officers in the vicinity had been killed or wounded, in organizing the men near him with great coolness and continuing to fight until ordered to withdraw.

It should be also noted that Captain Bradford must have been with him at this point, as part of a letter I have from Pte. Morrison reads.

I was the last Man to leave the trenches with Capt. Bradford (you will see his name and mine in the ‘Daily Mail’).

The other soldier from the 8th D.L.I. was Private, Arthur Turner, he has this reported about him in the local press....this was for the same action around Ypres.

News has been received regarding the brave act of an old Durham Johnstonian, who is also a Bedetie. Two young men, Jackson Hudson and A. Turner went out to the front with the "Durhams," and took part in the fierce fighting around Ypres. Hudson was seriously wounded and likely to bleed to death, when Turner heroically went to his assistance and rendered first aid. Shot and shell were flying about in all directions, but Turner bravely carried his companion some distance towards the rear. They were however in extreme danger, and Hudson insisted that Turner should seek cover, which he eventually did, Hudson also did his best to reach a place of security, and at night was picked up by the ambulance bearers. Hudson, who is now an inmate of Sunderland infirmary, has written to Mrs Turner, expressing his admiration and thankfulness to her son for his gallant deed.

Arthur Turner, received no award for this action.

John.