Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JOHN JAMES TURNEY R.G.A Reg No. 54771 Rank Corp.

jmg1414

Desparate to find more of my G father...He joined 1915 I presume in Monmouthshire as he lived there at that time,although he had spent most of his life and was actually born in London..He was not a young man in 1915 he was 36..His only son one of twins ,the other one my mother had just died of croup aged 13 months and he was devastated so he enlisted...He had served in the army before as a much younger man I have a photo although it shows only the top of his uniform which I think was taken in the early 1900's or a little before it is so hard to tell..I would love to know where he fought as a young man. Some of my family say Sudan others say South Africa.

Why do the young not talk to their family? I thought it was a generation thing from old times but I find that even now some of the young people I work with know so little about their parents and even less about grandparents. I managed to access the medal card for Grandfather ..takes a bit of understanding but I got the reg no. etc from that...I remember he was buried with his medals in the late 50's I believe they would have told me something. I just want to know where in France he fought and maybe what battles. If any of you knowledgeable people could help me in my search I would be delighted...If I ever get to meet this quite extraordinary very loving man again it would be nice to have an understanding of what he endured possibly twice in his lifetime.

Jenny

Can you possibly post the photograph here so we can have a look at the uniform?