Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Piper Richardson Memorial

mordac

This is in today's Vancouver Sun on page C7:

On Saturday, October 11 at 2:00 PM, a life-sized bronze statue of Piper James Clelland Richardson, VC will be unveiled before an honour guard in a special ceremony on the grounds of the Chilliwack Museum. Chilliwack, British Columbia is Piper Richardson's hometown.

Also noted in the article, on October 17 Piper Richardson's pipes go on display in the National Museum of Scotland as part of an exhibit on the Scots contribution to Canadian history and culture.

This is an interesting article containing details of the history of Richardson's pipes, the man who found his pipes and the story of Piper John Park who died on the same day and same battlefield as Richardson. If anyone is interested, I'll post the complete newspaper article.

Garth

Hi Malcolm:

I would appreciate any additional information you find during your visit to the National Museum of Scotland.

I'll be going to Chilliwack on Saturday for the unveiling of the new memorial. I'll post a picture of the Piper Richardson statue. The weathers been cloudy and wet for the last couple of days, so here's hoping for some sun for the weekend.

Garth

I went to the unveiling of the Piper Richardson statue in Chilliwack on Saturday afternoon. The weather cooperated and it didn't start raining until the two hour ceremony had finished. There were between 500 to 600 people in attendance.

I took 130 digital photos and have selected a handful for posting.

Photo 1: The statue before unveiling.

post-19-1065942428.jpg

Photo 6: Pipe Major Roger McGuire playing the lament "Flowers of the Forest." I have to admit I was wiping the tears from my eyes during his playing of the lament.

post-19-1065943620.jpg

Photo 7: There were more than 20 members of Piper Richardson's family who came from across Canada and the US to attend the ceremony. Each member of the family placed a poppy on a wreath that was presented by the Royal Canadian Legion. Many of the Richardson family were visibly moved by the ceremony.

post-19-1065943988.jpg

Photo 8: Also in attendance was Provost Patrick Connelly representing North Lanarkshire Council, Scotland. Provost Connelly laid a wreath on behalf of North Lanarkshire.

post-19-1065944341.jpg

Ditto, Garth, you've done it again !! :)

Thanks a lot

Peter

Garth,

Thanks for sharing these excellent photos.

Roy :)

Great Photographs Garth!!

A very nice day spent in Chilliwack, it was nice the rain kept away ( can't say that about the ride home) I would like to add a note of thanks to all that took part in the dedication service, and to the organisers of this wonderfull event, and a big well done to the Chilliwack Museum for very nice VC exibition.

Regards to the Forum Rob B.