Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

YOUNGEST OFFICER TO LEAD HIS MEN

Guest tafski

Guest tafski

Hi Pals

not sure if this has ever been discussed before but any body know the age of the youngest officer to lead his men in action

At the momment i have found 2lt Reginald Battersby commisioned into the 11 East Lancashire Regiment ( Accrington Pals )at the age of 15 led his platoon into action 1st July 1916 aged 16 was wounded shot in the leg and was wounded again in 1917 same leg which was amputated

are there any younger officers than him

cheers

bruce

Hello

could be a tough one this as lots lied about their age

Given the high attrition rate of junior officers would nt be suprised if its low

Regarding this chap - if you know, at what stage did his age get found out ?

Ian

Bruce

Do you have background information on Reginald Battersby, eg the school he attended ? I wonder how he managed to make it to the rank of officer by such a young age ?

Myrtle

And why wasnt he at school ? Someone must have missed him and knew he joined up. And did he go through officer training ? A very mature chap !

Ian

Ian

The photograph of Reginald shows his maturity but I am still interested to know his background. Very young ORs managed to join up and go to fight but how would a 15/16 year old pass through officer training unless he knew someone who could " pull the strings".

Myrtle

And why wasnt he at school ? Someone must have missed him and knew he joined up.

Ian

Perhaps not in those days when most children would leave school earlier than 15? Phil B

Perhaps not in those days when most children would leave school earlier than 15? Phil B

My grandfather left school at 14 in 1920 as was the norm. He started work straight away (his father was KIA in 1917 see my signature)

Regards,

Neil

And why wasnt he at school ? Someone must have missed him and knew he joined up. And did he go through officer training ? A very mature chap !

Ian

School at 15! Not then, unless at a GS or PS.

Folks

Coldstreamer has posted the link to a BBC story that appeared (at least in the area covering the IoM) in a "recent" documentary programme, where this man's son told his story. I seem to recall that his father was enthusiastic for his son to enlist & be commissioned & pulled strings, & IIRC his headmaster (yes he was a GS boy) even wrote a reference! I think it is safe to say that those in command of his Pals Bn knew his true age.

Cheers

Mark

Guest tafski

Hi Pals

sorry have been away from this post thank found this guy in richard van emdens book boy soldiers of the great war a really good read opens ones eyes

if ye get a chance have a read of it

bruce

Hello

Thanks for putting me straight- I never really gave much thought to the school leaving age of the time. The on;y school records I have are all for officers who, being Guards, went to Private schools - one in Geneva..

Ian

School at 15! Not then, unless at a GS or PS.

Folks

where this man's son told his story. I seem to recall that his father was enthusiastic for his son to enlist & be commissioned & pulled strings, & IIRC his headmaster (yes he was a GS boy) even wrote a reference! I think it is safe to say that those in command of his Pals Bn knew his true age.

Cheers

Mark

Mark

Thanks for clarifying that "strings were pulled". The usual story of "not what you know but who you know". :ph34r:

Myrtle