Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Cards

nicko576

Iam researching my great grandfather who was in the rifle brigade. upon reading the medal card it lists 2 service numbers one of them is 205401 which i have, but it also says on the line above 109,does anybody know what this means

many thanks

nick

Nick

Assuming they are both Rifle Brigade numbers then it means he was a Territorial Soldier. The three digit number would have been his original number and then, when the Territorial Force was renumbered in early 1917 he would have been allocated the six digit number.

There's a good article about the renumbering on the LLT mother site, link to it is Here

You'll see his six digit number was in a block allocated to 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23th, 24th and 25th Battalions Rifle Brigade.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Nick,

I presume your Great Grandfather was John Henry Edwards. He was in the 23rd (North Western) Battalion, The Rifle Brigade and as Steve has pointed out the number 119 was his number prior to the renumbering.

Andy

The 23rd Battalion was formed at Halton by drafts principally from men of the Kings Liverpool, South Lancs and Manchester Regiments, who previous to their transfer were guarding prisoners of war at the Knockaloe Camp in the Isle of Man.

It remained throughout under the command of Liet.-Collonel T.E. Turnbull, V.D., and sailing in the S.S. Euripides from Devonport on 12th January 1916, proceeded via the Suez Canal to Karachi where the Battalion disembarked on 10th Febraury.

Their Part 1 Orders are largely preserved, and from these it appears that their history was an uneventful one. The Battalion was employed on Internal Seciurity duties throughout its stay in India; first at Multan, where it was quartered in the Edwardes Barracks, then from 22nd July 1918 at Bareilly in Clyde Barracks; one company was at Amritsar, according to the Indian Order of Battle in May 1916.

The Battalion was demobilized in India; by 12th July the numbers were reduced to fifty; on 25th October it moved to Sialkot and the cadre was not finally dispersed until 4th February 1920.

Andy

Nick,

His medal roll has him down as having died on 10/6/18

post-1871-1148020528.jpg

So does CWGC.

Name: EDWARDS

Initials: J H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: 23rd Bn.

Date of Death: 10/06/1918

Service No: 205401

Additional information: Husband of Mary Edwards. of Bootle. Merseyside.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: KARACHI 1914-1918 WAR MEMORIAL

Steve

Nick,

I should add here that the 23rd left no War Diary. Of the seven battalions of these territorials, only four left any diary at all, the 19th, 20th,21st and 22nd.

Andy

If you would like a copy of his medal roll, e mail me with your e mail addy and I will send you a copy.

Andy

Andy

Without wishing to hijack Nick's thread have you got copies of the 25th Bn Medal Rolls?

I have a number of 25th Bn. Royal Fusiliers being transferred to the 25th Bn. Rifle Brigade (number range 213937 to 214785) and would be particularly interested in the details for them. I haven't got round to checking 'other unit' medal rolls for details yet.

Is this something you can help with?

Steve

Steve

Many many thanks for your help, i am so delighted at the results yourself and others have found out, my next topic is my great grandfathers brother Arthur Edwards, who died at the 3rd battle of ypres, he died on the 13 October 1917 and is remembered with honour, at cement house, he was serving with the first rifle brigade, ser no s/25049 do you know what kind of action he would have been involved with around this date

many thanks

nick

The 23rd Battalion was formed at Halton...Andy

Many many thanks

yourself and steve have been magnificent, as on my reply to thank steve, i am now trying to find out what action might my great uncle been involved in around the time of his death

once again many thanks

nick

Nick,

The 1st Battalions diary for the 13th reads "After dark the battalion was relieved and the battalion moved back to Leipzig Camp." They were around the Louis Farm area with an attack launched on the 12th.

Andy

Nick,

There is an aerial view of the area the 1st Battalion attacked and a report of the action in the War Diary if this is of interest to you.

Andy

Steve,

I have sent you a PM re this matter, will look for you this weekend.

Andy

Once again many thanks, for all your efforts, i would be most interested in any information regarding either the 1st rifle brigade, or arthur edwards

many thanks

nick cross

If you would like a copy of his medal roll, e mail me with your e mail addy and I will send you a copy.

Andy

andy my e mail address is nick@cross580.fsnet.co.uk

thanks

nick

Nick,

I will send it all to you over the weekend.

Andy

Steve,

A quick look through shows

213937 JENNER, Harry. 25th Royal Fusiliers 12945

214214 CRUMP, George James 25th Royal Fusiliers 13347

214374 O'FLAHERTY, William Hale 25th Royal Fusiliers 13599

214734 OLIVIERI, Herbert Cromwell 25th Royal Fusiliers 13180

214785 QUINE, Stanley Norman 25th Royal Fusiliers 13602

All 25th Battalion, The Rifle Brigade.

are there any more to your knowledge.

Andy

Andy

In addition to your list there is only one more 25th Rifle Brigade that I'm aware of:

213935 BRAZIER, Charles E. 25th Rifle Brigade (12945 25th Royal Fusiliers).

I've also got another six 25th Royal Fusiliers being transferred to unidentified Rifle Brigade battalions:

51595 HOLLEY, John. (12892 25th Royal Fusiliers).

51603 McLEAY, Donald. (12860 25th Royal Fusiliers).

51605 McCALLUM, John A. (15051 25th Royal Fusiliers).

51619 WATSON, Hendrick. (15152 25th Royal Fusiliers).

55325 HESKETT, Stuart A. (15066 25th Royal Fusiliers).

57959 REDGRAVE, Bert H. (13014 25th Royal Fusiliers).

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Got them.

Holley Depot R.B.

McLeay Depot R.B.

McCallum Depot R.B.

Watson 16th Rifle Brigade

Heskett Depot R.B.

Redgrave Depot R.B.

Also came across HAMMOND, Frank Meller, G/32883, 25th Royal Fusiliers, number 51596 Rifle Brigade.

Andy

Got Brazier too for you.

Andy

Nick,

The war diaries for the relevant period have been e mailed to you, interesting report on the action, alsoo a good aerial shot of the area, enjoy the reading. Will dig the medal rolls out for you shortly.

Andy

Andy

Just got your email with the 1914-15 Star Medal Rolls for the men from the 25th Royal Fusiliers.

Absolutely Brilliant! Just what I needed, thanks very much.

Steve

Steve,

No problem, glad they were of use. I will get all the BWM/VM rolls together for you tomorrow Steve.

Andy

Nick & Steve,

All sent, hope you enjoy them.

Andy

Andy

All received, will keep me busy for a while as I add the details to my own database .

Thanks again.

Steve