Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldier in 8th West Yorks (Leeds Rifles)

Guest leigh-anne

Guest leigh-anne

I'm new to this so can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find the war diary for 8th West Yorks (leeds rifles)

My great grandfather fought and survied the war in this battalion. He should have recieved the victoria cross for capturing a german pill box single handedly but only recieved the military medal because he shot the occupants. His name was Pte J.R Darlington or John Richard Darlington.

If anyone can tell me where to look or may have read the war diary for his battalion and remembers his name please let me know

Thanks

Guest leigh-anne

Maybe if anyone knows of the movements of this battalion that may help. I'm at a loss with this as i dont know a great deal about the army

Maybe if anyone knows of the movements of this battalion that may help. I'm at a loss with this as i dont know a great deal about the army

Leigh Ann

If you go to the national archives website and go on the search for campaign medals if you put in John Richard Darlington Number 58787 West Yorkshire Regiment it will give you two cards to download one his his MM card the other MIC which may have more info on.They are £3.50 a shot.

Regards

Ady

Hello Leigh Ann,

According to the 'West Riding Territorials in the Great War', John Richard Darlington Number 58787 West Yorkshire Regiment won his MM with the 2/8th Battalion (Leeds Rifles). This Battalion was part of the 62nd Division. If you can give details of his London Gazette date, then it might be easier to hazard a guess at what he did/or what the Leeds Rifles were doing when he won his MM.

Regards

Ron

Your GGFather's MM was listed in London Gazette #31061, dated 11th December 1918.

WEST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT.

58787 Pte. Darlington, J. R. (Little Hulton). 8th Bn. (T.F.).

Link to the Gazette entry is Here

Hope this helps.

Steve

Guest leigh-anne
Hello Leigh Ann,

According to the 'West Riding Territorials in the Great War', John Richard Darlington Number 58787 West Yorkshire Regiment won his MM with the 2/8th Battalion (Leeds Rifles). This Battalion was part of the 62nd Division. If you can give details of his London Gazette date, then it might be easier to hazard a guess at what he did/or what the Leeds Rifles were doing when he won his MM.

Regards

Ron

Thanks Ron,

That helps a little i have both record cards now and the gazette entry but sadly there was just his name and his medal no information

Leigh-Anne

Guest leigh-anne
Your GGFather's MM was listed in London Gazette #31061, dated 11th December 1918.

WEST YORKSHIRE REGIMENT.

58787 Pte. Darlington, J. R. (Little Hulton). 8th Bn. (T.F.).

Link to the Gazette entry is Here

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks for your help i've got the entry and hopefully i'll be able to take it from there

Leigh-anne

I'm new to this so can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find the war diary for 8th West Yorks (leeds rifles)

My great grandfather fought and survied the war in this battalion. He should have recieved the victoria cross for capturing a german pill box single handedly but only recieved the military medal because he shot the occupants. His name was Pte J.R Darlington or John Richard Darlington.

If anyone can tell me where to look or may have read the war diary for his battalion and remembers his name please let me know

Thanks

Leigh-Anne

My Great Uncle belonged to the 1/7 Leeds Riles and was KIA. The Leeds Rifles Comrades may be able to help you with some information. The address is on their website. (Just type in Leeds Rifles Comrades). The movements of his Battalion could be traced from The West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War by Everard Wyrell. You might be able to order it from the Library. The war diaries may be held at the Museum of the West Yorks Regiment in Tower St. York but you need to ring them first and make an appointment if you decide to go. If I can help you further please come back to me.

Best wishes in your search.

Sue

Guest leigh-anne
Leigh-Anne

My Great Uncle belonged to the 1/7 Leeds Riles and was KIA. The Leeds Rifles Comrades may be able to help you with some information. The address is on their website. (Just type in Leeds Rifles Comrades). The movements of his Battalion could be traced from The West Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War by Everard Wyrell. You might be able to order it from the Library. The war diaries may be held at the Museum of the West Yorks Regiment in Tower St. York but you need to ring them first and make an appointment if you decide to go. If I can help you further please come back to me.

Best wishes in your search.

Sue

Thanks so much for that i've ordered that book and once it arrives i might have a better idea of where to go from there

Leigh-Anne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Leeds central library has a microfilm copy of the war diary for the 8th West Yorks from February 1918 to some time in 1919. I had a quick look at it a couple of weeks ago. I believe the 8th West Yorks was and almalgamation of the 1/8th and 2/8th West Yorks and came in to being in February 1918.. There is also an album of old photographs of the 1/7th and 1/8th battalions from pre war days held at the library that is held in the strongroom but is available for viewing. Sadly some of the pictures are badly deteriorated.

Regards,

Jon Clark