Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How Do I make sure it's the right one?

Guest ElaineJowsey

Guest ElaineJowsey

Thankyou for all the previous help given..Much appreciated.. I now have this horrible hunch ..What if this is not the right index card? I am basically going off verbal information given off my father but he is a little vague also. Can I trace any address details from the index card & if so how o I do it? Do I need to visit Kew to get this info? Also (sorry for being a pain) if I have found the right card how do I go about getting duplicate medals. ( I just think it would be nice as a present for my father.. a bit of a memory keepsake so he can wear them with pride in honour of his father ) ? Any information would be much appreciated and thanks for the hint on the 7th battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. I have just started reading the web page & it looks like its going to be interesting reading.

In memory of my grandfather James Francis Mckenna of the Northumberland Fusiliers and in respect to my father Alan Francis Mckenna and all Service men & women who served in the great wars. I owe my freedom to them...May they Rest in Peace.

I know how you feel, I too have the same problem with my Grandfather's Index card, whilst I am told by the Royal Berkshire regiment curator there was only one Robert Tucker in their regiment, and I have it entered on one of the childrens birth certificates that it is his regiment I still do not have definite proof. It seems that any other details are sketchy and you are lucky if you find any. Good Luck

Regards

Christina

No addresses are given on the front {shown} of the MiCs;there is some possibility that some delivery addresses where on the reverse of the Cards but these were not transcribed & copied by the NA & @ present they are not accessible.

However if your MiC is the only one to tha name then you can be fairly sure that it is his card,the only real confirmation would be to hope that his Service Papers are among those that survived the Blitz of 1940/1,these would give his personal details including address @ enlistment,next of kin,age etc,those that survive are held @ the NA{not online however}

As regards replacement,no official replacements of WW1 medals from AMO can now be made,you can buy Replica/Commemorative/Duplicate WW1 Medals from various Dealers & such sites as ebay etc where they are listed as such{an "eBay" search for 1914-15 Star will find them}These are not genuine medals & are commercially manufactured replicas made to supply the demand such as yours,to replace Lost Family Awards for display,etc;but they serve their purpose.

if your MiC is the only one to tha name then you can be fairly sure that it is his card,the only real confirmation would be to hope that his Service Papers are among those that survived the Blitz of 1940

That's where the problem would seem to appear :( , there appears to be six Medal Index Cards to a James McKenna with a Northumberland Fusiliers link......

Medal card of McKenna, James

Corps: Northumberland Fusiliers

Regiment No: 315407

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 7/1624

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 13163

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 24/493

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 613

1914-1920 WO 372/13

Regiment No: 9928

1914-1920 WO 372/13

If he survived the war then you can disregard 13163 James McKenna who was KIA, but that only narrows the search down to five. Do you know if he served in any other units apart from Northumberland Fusiliers?

A link to the six MIC's is Here

Steve

315407 would be a TF Bn Man,& probably as his later {post} 1916 Number appears on the Card,didnt serve O/S until after then,

613 would suggest a pre 1914 TF man,possibly serving from the early days of the TF,circa 1908~10 ,with such a low 3 figure number.

7/1624 & 24/493 would have been 7th & 24th Bn Men,& possibly may be tied to a particulary area of enlistment.

9928 suggests a Regular,with an enlistment in or around 1912/4

I wish you luck with the project,local papers of where he lived might throw up some information;particularly if he was wounded @ all or embarkation lists were published,when he went overseas.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ElaineJowsey

Thanks ever so much for the information previously supplied. My father has provided me with information that he did make corporal so I can now narrow it down to two on WO/372/13 index cards. As reg no 18905 was in a liverpool reg I can confidentally assume that wasnt him As my father is adament he only served in the Northumberland Fusiliers, Grandfather lived near Alnwick. So i have high hopes that my grandfathers medal card is for reg no 7/1624. So can any one tell me what I do now? I take note about no duplicate medals only replicas. (Such a shame) however if I can get details of his war papers that would be great.(provided they weren't destroyed ) How do I do that? Thanks again for all the help to date.

If you click on the links to the Long Long Trail there is a lot of information on researching a soldier. You will need to go to Kew or have someone go there for you to look for service records.