Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

can you help find a forename

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Could any pal help me find the Forename of the following hero please. He was Private W

Travener G/14779 of the South Staffordshire Regt but also known as 312601 Royal Engineers.

Could any pal help me find the Forename of the following hero please. He was Private W

Travener G/14779 of the South Staffordshire Regt but also known as 312601 Royal Engineers.

It's not a common name, so shouldn't be too difficult to find - you'd think :rolleyes:

Only one male Travener on 1901 census indexes - Samuel, age 5, St Pancras London, family as below:

View Record Emma Travener abt 1857 St Pancras, London, England Head St Pancras London

View Record Samuel Travener abt 1896 St Pancras, London, England Son St Pancras London

View Record Charles Western abt 1895 St Pancras, London, England Son St Pancras London

View Record Mrs. Emily Western abt 1877 St Pancras, London, England Daughter St Pancras London

View Record Percey Western abt 1897 St Pancras, London, England Son St Pancras London

and in 1891, there's only these Traveners in England, according to the Ancestry index

View Record Charles G Travener abt 1890 Birmingham Nephew Aston Warwickshire

View Record Ernest Travener abt 1867 Marshfield, Gloucestershire, England Son Woolwich London

View Record Mary Travener abt 1869 London, England Servant Kensington London

(Ernest is apparently in the ASC at Woolwich Barracks)

And checking births 1880-1900 on freeBMD the only male Travener I've found is

Births Jun 1882

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Travener George Sleaford 7a 481

So, sorry mate, no help here - do you have any further info that might help track him down?

Cheers,

Jim

Guest KevinEndon

I have a trio to Mr. Travener which is not faked as here is his MIC details to show he does exist http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...10&query=312601

I have just pulled his MIC info up again but on this occassion it has shown a second MIC index with his Forename as Will.

A couple of strange things have occured here though Jim. Why when I looked yesterday there was only one index available but today there is two and also why does he not appear on the 1901 census. Does the census just cover England and Wales and my man could be Scottish.

Maybe a pal knows the roots of the surname Travener.

Hi why wasnt he on the census? possibly not born- unlikely, as he was awarded a trio, or more likely he was not in the country. GAreth

As you say, there's definitely 2 MIC indexes online now! The Ancestry censuses are Enlgand & Wales only - you'd need to check the scotlandspeople website to see if there's anything on the Scottish census. As to why he's not on the 1901 - was he from a service family, and overseas at the time??

Jim

The 1881 census for Wales shows an entry for a 2 year old W J Travener living in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire. He's the son of William and Amy Travener.

Looking at the register of births, I couldn't find an entry for Travener, but I did find an entry for William Joseph Travenen in Newport in 1879.

Could this be the man?

Guest KevinEndon

The plot thickens.

1914-15 STAR SAYS 9-14779 Pte. W TAVENER S.STAFF R.

WAR MEDAL SAYS 14779 Pte. W TAVERNER S.STAFF R.

VICTORY MEDAL SAYS 14779 W TAVERNER S STAFF R.

M I C INDEX SAYS TRAVENER G/14779 SOUTH STAFFS http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Spec=score+desc

but also TAVERNER http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&resultcount=66

Could someone look up the 1901 census and see which spelling is right out of the stars spelling (TAVENER) or the war and victory spelling (TAVERNER)or the first mic's spelling (TRAVENER). I am off to bang my head against a brick wall.

If the correct spelling is TAVERNER, then it becomes quite tricky as there are quite a lot of candidates with that name.

First glance at StaffordshIre in the 1901 shows a few WILLIAMS, plus one WALTER. And that's just one county.

Oops - I just didn't see that he had 2 spellings on the MICs - TRAVENER & TAVERNER ... :rolleyes:

As Stephen says, it gets tricky. There are 50 William/Wm TAVENERs in the England 1901, and nearly as many William TAVERNERs.

Only one Will TAVENER or TAVERNER though, see below:

View Record Isabella Tavener abt 1865 Hoxton, London, England Daughter Shoreditch London

View Record Jane Tavener abt 1889 St Luke, London, England Daughter Shoreditch London

View Record Robert Tavener abt 1837 Hoxton, London, England Head Shoreditch London

View Record Robert Tavener abt 1868 Hoxton, London, England Son Shoreditch London

View Record Will Tavener abt 1879 St Luke, London, England Son Shoreditch London

Will TAVENER (the handwriting is very clear) was a 22 year old Dock Labourer. No family connection with Staffs.

Jim

Guest KevinEndon

Thanks to some clever chap at the Stafford Regiment museum I have found the true spelling and it is as on his Victory and War medal as W TAVERNER. Would it be worth me phoning up the National Archive to let them know of a mistake.

ps thanks to everyone who has helped me in my quest to this solution.

Thanks to some clever chap at the Stafford Regiment museum I have found the true spelling and it is as on his Victory and War medal as W TAVERNER. Would it be worth me phoning up the National Archive to let them know of a mistake.

ps thanks to everyone who has helped me in my quest to this solution.

The 1901 census return has only 1 William Taverner resident in Scotland, I didn't download it as they charge £6 for 30 credits but you may want to, there's no birth certificate online for him so he may well have been born in England and living in or visiting Scotland at Census time. Good hunting