Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewisham Military Hospital

Fogarrach

Dedicated to the brave men who died in this hospital and laid down their lives for the British Empire 1914-1919 and to Dorothy Goodman and Helen Knibb who died at their post of duty nursing the sick and wounded.

Rededicated 4 August 1998.

I was walking past Lewisham hospital the other day and noticed a small war memorial in the front garden of a building that seems to have been part of Lewisham hospital at some time, it may even still be part of it. (Note : Public library is inscribed above the main door)

In front of the main list of names is a smaller stone with the above inscription and I'm posting it in case it is of any interest. Unfortunately it doesn't give a date/s and there is no explanation as to how they died at their posts.

aye,

Dedicated to the brave men who died in this hospital and laid down their lives for the British Empire 1914-1919 and to Dorothy Goodman and Helen Knibb who died at their post of duty nursing the sick and wounded.

Rededicated 4 August 1998.

I was walking past Lewisham hospital the other day and noticed a small war memorial in the front garden of a building that seems to have been part of Lewisham hospital at some time, it may even still be part of it. (Note : Public library is inscribed above the main door)

In front of the main list of names is a smaller stone with the above inscription and I'm posting it in case it is of any interest. Unfortunately it doesn't give a date/s and there is no explanation as to how they died at their posts.

aye,

Dorothy Goodman was a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment. The name of Helen Knibb is unknown to me and her name is not one which is listed on the York Minster panels. If you happen to be walking past the memorial stone again with a camera I would very much welcome a photograph of it.

Dorothy Goodman was a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment. The name of Helen Knibb is unknown to me and her name is not one which is listed on the York Minster panels. If you happen to be walking past the memorial stone again with a camera I would very much welcome a photograph of it.

I will get you a photograph of it Jim, in fact you were in my mind when I saw the stone as I have not contacted Lewisham BC for plot maps re the other pics. I will do all this. I have no excuses now other than tardiness on my part.