Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurses in Aust Light Horse

gladstone

Helloh

On chasing up stuff associated with the first Australasian convoy the last entries on the 1st Light Horse Brigade Supply Train Embarkation seems a bit odd.

Chaplain : Merrington E M

Nurses: Paten, E M. Hart, J M. Keys, C M and Williams B M.

YMCA : Freguson H Mr

It seems strange that 4 nurses would be allocated to a formation of over 2,000 lighthorsemen, and were not part of a Hospital grouping.

Merrington was a keen photographer and took shots of the ladies and many Gallipoli pictures.

Mate,

These poeple were only passengers on the ship traveling to Egypt.

Bertha Williams seved with the 1 AGH

Eunice Paten served with the 1 AGH and as Head Sister 2 AAuxH and 25

GH awarded the RRC,

Constance Keys 3 AGH and Head Sister 2 ACCS awarded RRC 1st and 2nd Class, twice MID and French Medal de Epidemices,

Julia Mary Hart I have no info but I think she remained in Egypt with the 14 AGH,

Chaplain Ernest Merrington served with the 1st LHR on Gallipoli but was RTA he reenlisted and served as Hon/Col 3 AAuxH in the UK.

The YMCA bloke I have no direct info on either but like all they were just get a lift.

Cheers

S.B

Hi again Clarrie

Have done a bit more checking for you - and discovered that only 25 nurses travelled with the first convoy.

They were distributed over 7 of the ships.

There were 3 on the Shropshire, and one of these, Sister Evelyn Conyers, says they were kept busy helping the Medical Officers with vaccinations & innoculating the troops for typhoid, as well as twenty cases of measles, etc.

Of the 4 you mention on the Omrah, Eunice Paten had a pretty interesting career, as well as being awarded the Royal Red Cross (2nd Class) in 1918 - she was one of the 7 Matrons that attended the coronation of George VI in 1937 - did a year of service in WW2 - and awarded an MBE in 1958. [just incase you're interested]

Anyway, I'm heading away in the morning - so I'll catch ya later!

Cheers, Frev