Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 64457 John Duncan RAMC

eltoro1960

This is a section of a photograph of my Grandad who was in the RAMC, can anyone tell me what the badge / insignia is on his left sleeve is please? Thanks

John,

Could it be a wound stripe?

Roxy

It's a distinct possiblity , you cannot see it but my grandad is surrounded by a French family whom he was staying with. My Granny said that he had been gassed and left temporarily blind, it's a shame I can't show the rest of the photo ,it's too big, but the daughter of the family seemingly treated his eyes with olive oil every day until he regained his sight. He seemingly spoke very highly of the French and I could see why.

Guest KevinEndon

Have a look at

this is a picture of my great grandfather who was injured on the Somme. He to has a wound stripe like the soldier/hero above.

Guest KevinEndon

John have you ever seen the drama series the BAND OF BROTHERS. I have spent hours thinking where I had seen your man on the photos face from then it came to me it one of the main characters in that brilliant series Band of Brothers. Can anyone else see the remarkable resemblance and maybe give the characters name.

That's definitely a wound stripe - a brass or woven gold cloth awarded for each injury attributable to enemy action, including gassing. Worn on the left sleeve, just above the cuff. I have an Australian uniform in my collection with 3 of these; I've heard of up to 7 being awarded.

In the AIF it was continued on into the 2nd World War, but not not as consistently; it was dropped after 1945.

Bob