Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

which regiment?

jmg1414

Hello there

I am sure that you get so many requests for this info....Grandfather joined 1915 discharged dec 1918 found medal card Corps listed as R.G.A I know that this was the garrison artillery and that he said he was with the big guns...but was this a regiment? I have his regimental number and cause of discharge.from his medal card...He would have enlisted in Monmouthshire I think as he was living there then...He came from London/Surrey sort of area so would it have been a surrey or middlesex regiment...He had served as a boy in the Boer War and was about 35 in 1914 he enlisted after his only son died so he could have gone back to his home area before he enlisted. I really would like to know what part of France he fought in and what battles he took part in...is this an impossible task or if not how do I research this..any help please...

The Royal Garrison Artillery is a Corps - your Grandfather you have served in a sub unit, a battery probably (not sure about formations higher than that in the RGA in WW1).

If you post his name and number someone will probably be able to help.

Regards,

Neil.

The Royal Garrison Artillery is a Corps - your Grandfather you have served in a sub unit, a battery probably (not sure about formations higher than that in the RGA in WW1).

If you post his name and number someone will probably be able to help.

Regards,

Neil.

Thanks Neil here goes...JOHN JAMES TURNEY R.G.A Reg No. 54771 Rank Corp..

If you don't get any replies here start a new thread in 'Soldiers' with his details in the title.

Good luck,

Neil.