Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Henry (Nelson) Townsend - Regimental No. help

RobertBr

My grandfather 169149 Gunner Henry (Nelson) Townsend served with D Battery 281 Brigade RFA 56th (London) Division and post armistice with 312 Brigade in Germany.

My problem is reconciling his 6 digit number with his posting, especially to a London territorial force.

He attested on 11/12/1915 (possibly under the Derby scheme) and was called up on 6/9/1916 for the "RH & RFA" starting at Woolwich on 12/9/1916.

He came from, and probably attested in, Witney in Oxfordshire; although his wife was born in London.

There seems to be little information about the RFA in general. However I now have and am trying to collate, the History of the 56th Division, part of the 281 Brigades War diary and my grandafthers own diary for 1918/19.

I am more than willing to share this information with interested parties.

Bob

This one, Gareth?

London Gazette 13 March 1918

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Military Medal for bravery in the Field to the undermentioned Non-commissioned Officers and Men :—

169149 Gnr. H. Townsend, R.F.A. (Witney).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

I'm so glad there isn't a "I hate you, you smug git!" smiley :P

I gambled by the way and went straight for the find it or bust route "H. Townsend, R.F.A."

Steve.

Gareth/ Steve

Thanks for the attempt.

I actually have the MICs, his MM and the card he was given by his CO telling him of MM award dated 9/12/1917. That all relates to D Battery of 281 Brigade RFA.

It is his Regimental No (169149) itself which is confusing me. Surely it is not in the right range for that brigade, and its 6 digits. I thought 6 digit numbers started in 1917!

Bob