Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Specific military actions 1/14 London Scottish 1917

Guest Mike Rundle

Guest Mike Rundle

Hello - new to this site so please bear with me. My son (13) is visiting the WW1 battelefields around Arras at the end of the month and we have discovered a family connection. I have located the details of my wife's grandfather's brother (would that make him her great uncle ?) 513892 Robert Patterson Macadam who served with D Coy 1/14 London Scottish and was killed on 9th April 1917, he is buried at London Cemetery Neuville-Vitasse. What I would like to do find out is more specific details of the action in which he died. I have emailed the Regiment but I have noticed that a couple of people posting on the Forum have already done some research on this Battalion and may have uncovered more information.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Mike Rundle

Bournemouth

Mike

The 1/14th London Regiment (London Scottish) were part of 168th Brigade of the 56th (London) Division detailed to attack Neuville Vitasse as part of the Battle of Arras

Extracts from the ‘History of the 56th Division’ for 9th April:

“Everything was therefore ready for the assault on the northern extremity of the Hindenburg Line, and advance to Napal Trench. This was to be done by the 14th and 1st Longdon Regt.”

“The attack started at 1210 pm, and the London Scottish, passing through the Kennsigtons and 12th London Regt, were soon engaged in some lively fighting which lasted two hours. They killed a number of the enemy, captured 100 of them and one machine gun, and overran the mass of trenches by 1,000yds. On their left they were in touch with the 14th Division, but their right was in the air. As the 167th Brigade had not progressed so well, the London Scottish position was not too good.”

The London Scottish were then withdrawn from there forward position and did not re-join the attack until the following day.

Bob

Guest Mike Rundle

Bob,

Many thanks for this - extremely accurate and interesting. It would seem to point to the exact time and place.

Kind regards

Mike

Mike - the regimental history "The London Scottish in the Great War" by Lindsay, has several pages. Synopsis is that they attacked at 11.30 on the 9th, as support to the Rangers and the Kensingtons. The attack was pretty successful, and casualties relatively light - 17 o.r. killed and 3 officers and 66 o.r. wounded. 290 prisoners were taken.

If you wish, I can photo-copy and post the extract (about 3 pages), plus the map - PM me a postal address (not e-mail - scanner u/s).

Incidentally, in my days in the regiment (late 70's), there were still a few veterans around, and 'D' Company was always referred to as 'POBD' (Poor old b****y D)!

Steve

Strange how one can read and not understand fully; I thought I understood what had occured but, having re-read Lindsay this evening, I have only just realised that the action was a two stage attack with the Scottish taking the Telegraph Hill /Cojaul Switch feature after a 1,400m advance from the start point.

I am now also fairly sure that my great-grandfather tok part in the action as he was serving with the 1st Bn at the time.

Stephen

Guest Mike Rundle

Hi Stephen,

I have a photograph of Robert MacAdam taken with his brother (Hamilton), also in uniform but wearing an armband with a tank insignia. They both enlisted in Perth in 1914 with the Black Watch - so how come Robert died with the London Scottish and Hamilton survived having been sent to work with tanks ? Thought I might ask you as you seem to have an interest in this area as well.

These are my wife's relatives and details are decidedly hazy. I looked into Hamilton's Medal Card (attached) and can see three corps mentioned : MGC / ASC / RE (Mcahine Gun Corps, Army Service Corps and Royal Engineers ???).

Similarly with my own grandfather - Albert John Rundle (from Easington, Co. Durham) joined up 26/09/14, military number 269992, discharged with wounds 12/12/17. Served with the Royal Artillery but no Medal card exists for him. The only unit reference I can find in his papers is an invitation in 1951 to a reunion of 74 NFR Royal Artillery in South Shields.

Again, oral family history says he joined the DLI on enlistment but how come there's no record of him ? Sorry if this is not your area - I suppose I should post this as a separate forum question.

Cheers

Mike

post-12573-1148314125.jpg

Hello - new to this site so please bear with me. My son (13) is visiting the WW1 battelefields around Arras at the end of the month and we have discovered a family connection. I have located the details of my wife's grandfather's brother (would that make him her great uncle ?) 513892 Robert Patterson Macadam who served with D Coy 1/14 London Scottish and was killed on 9th April 1917, he is buried at London Cemetery Neuville-Vitasse. What I would like to do find out is more specific details of the action in which he died. I have emailed the Regiment but I have noticed that a couple of people posting on the Forum have already done some research on this Battalion and may have uncovered more information.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Mike Rundle

Bournemouth

SNWM Edinburgh Castle.

Details

Surname MACADAM

Firstname Robert Patterson

Service Number 513892

Date Death 09/04/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Perth

Other

SNWM roll LONDON SCOTTISH

Rank L/Cpl

Theatre of death F.& F.

Aye

Malcolm

Guest Mike Rundle

Thanks Malcolm. Now all I need to do is research the activities of his brother who survived - that is not so easy !

Cheers

Mike

The SNWM does not mention Black Watch which would have been normal if he had transferred from BW to London Scottish.

Aye

Malcolm

I have come across a couple of Macadam in the Tank Corps in the past ; will try and find the details

Guest Mike Rundle

If you wish, I can photo-copy and post the extract (about 3 pages), plus the map - PM me a postal address (not e-mail - scanner u/s).

Steve,

Received this today in the post - really grateful and the timing is perfect.

Thanks

Mike